Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette
If you've not used halloumi cheese before, you have a treat in store. It is a full-flavoured chewy cheese that will not melt - you can even cook it directly on a barbecue grill! It is quite salty though so don't add any other salt to this recipe.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 200g (7 oz) halloumi cheese; sliced and chopped
- 500g (1lb 2oz) squash or pumpkin flesh; peeled and diced to about sugar-cube size. Almost any type of squash will do.
- 2 red chillies; finely chopped, de-seed them if you don't want it too hot
- 1 garlic clove; peeled and crushed (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- A handful of fresh basil leaves; chopped
- 6 free range eggs; beaten
- Preheat the grill
- Add half of the oil to a large frying pan; twist in a few grinds of black pepper into the oil and sauté and toss the halloumi pieces until they take some colour, then set to one side.
- Add the remaining oil and sauté the squash until it is soft and beginning to take on some colour - about 10 minutes - make sure the squash is cooked to your liking as it's not going o cook much more in the omelette..
- Add the chillies and garlic and cook for a further few minutes.
- Pour in the vinegar and move it around to deglaze the pan.
- Add the cheese back and pour in the beaten eggs and cook over a very low heat until the base is set - about 5 minutes.
- Sit the pan under the grill and heat for 5 minutes or until the top goes golden brown.
- Scatter the basil over the top. slice up and serve.
Slice into triangles and serve hot or cold, accompanied by a green salad.
Add a little grated cheddar cheese over the top before grilling.
- Tortillas: - Encyclopaedic page describing all variants of tortillas
- South American tortilla recipes - :
- Corn tortilla recipe - make them from scratch with masa harina
- Corn tortillas - a Thermomix recipe
- Wheat flour tortilla recipe
- Gorditas - Thick Mexican tortillas
- Quick tortillas - a recipe idea for using left over tortillas
- Burrito (or taco de harina) explained
- Minced beef burritos - A burrito recipe
- Enchiladas - a recipe and an explanation
- Chicken enchiladas
- Cheatin' chicken enchiladas a quick version of the above
- Quick beef enchiladas
- Honduran Enchiladas, This is a typical dish from Honduras
- enfrijoladas, a similar dish to enchiladas
- Homemade tortilla chips - Make superb tortilla chips from soft corn tortillas - better than anything you could buy!
- Cheese nachos - A cheese nacho recipe
- Frito pie - If you like Tex-Mex, you'll love this
- Easy frito pie - Make Frito pie-on the hoof!
- Minced beef for tacos - A Mexican spicy beef taco filling recipe
- Memphis BBQ pulled duck tacos - A duck variation on the same theme
- Sincronizada recipe - A Mexican speciality that can alos be found all over South America
- Quesadillas - A selection of quesadilla recipes
- Dobladas - Stuffed tortillas from Guatemala
- Enfrijoladas recipe - tortillas stuffed with re-fried beans and spices
- Chilaquiles - a fabulous recipe from two Mexican visitors
- Tostadas de guacamole y crema - A famous Diana Kennedy recipe
- Cheese pupusas - a stuffed tortilla from El Salvador
- Pupusa de Chicharron - similar to pupusas, again from El Salvador
- Spicy lamb tortillas - A recipe idea taken from crispy duck pancakes
- Duck fajitas - and a similar version, with crispy duck
- Gressingham Memphis Barbecue Pulled Duck - Commercially available pre-prepared pulled duck
- Spanish tortilla recipes:
- Capricorn, pea and mint tortilla - A Spanish-style tortilla with goats' cheese
- Potato and goats' cheese tortilla - Another Spanish-type with goats' cheese
- Tortilla Española - A Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla capuchina - another Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - A spicy Spanish tortilla
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette - Spicy, with squash & Greek cheese
- Omelettes - Many omelette recipes
- Misc. tortilla recipes:
- Tortilla press - The device and also a great tip for making them without a press!
- Beetroot falafel with toasted halloumi cheese
- Courgette and Halloumi Falafels
- Grilled sausage and halloumi salad with avocados
- Halloumi, fennel and apple salad
- Halloumi, fennel and kiwi fruit salad
- Halloumi, fennel and pink grapefruit salad
- Hugh's fried halloumi
- Melon salad with grilled halloumi cheese croutons
- Pork and strawberry salad with grilled halloumi cheese
- Skewiff beetroot and halloumi
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette
- Warm halloumi and fennel salad
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.