I saw Hugh-Fearnley Whittingstall make this recently on River Cottage Everyday. I usually grill or barbecue halloumi but this is another interesting way to cook a much underrated cheese. If you've never used it before, it's great fun. It squeaks on your teeth when you eat it. It will never melt so you can cook it ways you could never cook normal cheese. It is available in all supermarkets.
- 250 g of halloumi cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 1 heaped tablespoon of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Ancho chilli powder or to taste, optional
- Ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- NO salt!
- Cut the halloumi into 8 slices
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and then tip out onto plate
- If the halloumi is dry, brush or spray it with a tiny amount of oil so the flour binds to it
- Dredge the slices in the spiced flour and press to coat well.
- Leave to sit a while if you have time then knock off any excess flour before frying.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a griddle pan or frying pan
- Fry the cheese slices over a medium heat for about 3 minutes a side or until they take a nice golden colour
Leave for a while so the coating sticks
The basic ingredients
Serve hot with a Greek salad
These could also be brushed wi th oil and barbecued. The cheese won't melt.
- Beetroot falafel with toasted halloumi cheese
- Courgette and Halloumi Falafels
- Grilled sausage and halloumi salad with avocados
- Halloumi, fennel and apple salad
- Halloumi, fennel and kiwi fruit salad
- Halloumi, fennel and pink grapefruit salad
- Hugh's fried halloumi
- Melon salad with grilled halloumi cheese croutons
- Pork and strawberry salad with grilled halloumi cheese
- Skewiff beetroot and halloumi
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette
- Warm halloumi and fennel salad
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#hughsfriedhalloumi #cheese #greeksalad #spray #unusualrecipes #groundblackpepper #halloumicheese #flour #griddlepan #brush #chillipowder