- 400 g fresh green asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2.5 cm pieces
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 350 g potatoes, peeled and cut into smallish dice
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Garlic to taste, finely diced
- 100 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Boil the asparagus for 5 minutes until just tender.
- Drain, plunge into cold water and drain again.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil to medium in a large-ish frying pan.
- Add the potatoes and salt to taste.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, turning regularly so that they do not brown.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the asparagus and breadcrumbs and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain off any excess oil, reserving 1-2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Mix the eggs, parsley and a little more salt in a bowl.
- Pour the asparagus and potato mixture into the same bowl.
- Wipe the frying pan with kitchen towel and return it to the heat with the reserved oil.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and spread it evenly without stirring.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until the tortilla is nearly set.
- Flip the tortilla face downwards onto a plate and slide it back into the frying pan so that the other side will cook.
- Keep the pan on the heat for a further couple of minutes, by which time the tortilla should be ready.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm (not hot).
As asparagus has such a short season in the UK, you only have a few options if you want to make this at any time of the year. Never having eaten tinned asparagus, I neither recommend nor decry it. However I have eaten the white Espárrago de Navarra which is available throughout the year in jars. It tends to be much thicker than English asparagus so may need to be sliced, rather than cut into lengths. It has an excellent flavour, although any resulting tortilla would not be as colourful as those made with the green variety.
- Tortillas: - Encyclopaedic page describing all variants of tortillas
- South American tortilla recipes - :
- Corn tortilla recipe - make them from scratch with masa harina
- Corn tortillas - a Thermomix recipe
- Wheat flour tortilla recipe
- Gorditas - Thick Mexican tortillas
- Quick tortillas - a recipe idea for using left over tortillas
- Burrito (or taco de harina) explained
- Minced beef burritos - A burrito recipe
- Enchiladas - a recipe and an explanation
- Chicken enchiladas
- Cheatin' chicken enchiladas a quick version of the above
- Quick beef enchiladas
- Honduran Enchiladas, This is a typical dish from Honduras
- enfrijoladas, a similar dish to enchiladas
- Homemade tortilla chips - Make superb tortilla chips from soft corn tortillas - better than anything you could buy!
- Cheese nachos - A cheese nacho recipe
- Frito pie - If you like Tex-Mex, you'll love this
- Easy frito pie - Make Frito pie-on the hoof!
- Minced beef for tacos - A Mexican spicy beef taco filling recipe
- Memphis BBQ pulled duck tacos - A duck variation on the same theme
- Sincronizada recipe - A Mexican speciality that can alos be found all over South America
- Quesadillas - A selection of quesadilla recipes
- Dobladas - Stuffed tortillas from Guatemala
- Enfrijoladas recipe - tortillas stuffed with re-fried beans and spices
- Chilaquiles - a fabulous recipe from two Mexican visitors
- Tostadas de guacamole y crema - A famous Diana Kennedy recipe
- Cheese pupusas - a stuffed tortilla from El Salvador
- Pupusa de Chicharron - similar to pupusas, again from El Salvador
- Spicy lamb tortillas - A recipe idea taken from crispy duck pancakes
- Duck fajitas - and a similar version, with crispy duck
- Gressingham Memphis Barbecue Pulled Duck - Commercially available pre-prepared pulled duck
- Spanish tortilla recipes:
- Capricorn, pea and mint tortilla - A Spanish-style tortilla with goats' cheese
- Potato and goats' cheese tortilla - Another Spanish-type with goats' cheese
- Tortilla Española - A Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla capuchina - another Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - A spicy Spanish tortilla
- Beef Skirt Steak Fajitas - Fajitas, using Taste Sensation spice mix
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette - Spicy, with squash & Greek cheese
- Omelettes - Many omelette recipes
- Misc. tortilla recipes:
- Taco shells
- Tex-Mex seasoning - Home-made Old India Taco Seasoning recipe
- Old India Taco Seasoning - The commercial variety is very good too
- Tortilla chips - Snacks/crisps.
- Taste Sensation Cajun Seasoning
- Taste Sensation fajita seasoning
- Taste Sensation harissa seasoning
- Taste Sensation Italian seasoning
- Taste Sensation Jalapeno and Lime Seasoning
- Taste Sensation Mexican seasoning
- Taste Sensation piri piri seasoning
- Tortilla press - The device and also a great tip for making them without a press!
Great when local asparagus is out
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#tortilla #asparagus #tortillacapuchina #potatoes #onion #tapa #breadcrumbs #eggs #parsley #garlic #potato