This is just a bit of fun, as far as I am aware, there is no such thing as a Biarritz omelette, though perhaps there should be? It was inspired by Biarritz potatoes and uses similar regional ingredients. Having said that, and being a regular visitor to the area, I would say that duck rather than pork would probably be the meat of choice for this area. Anyway, it was a very nice omelette
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 red pepper, roasted
- 200g Good quality cooked ham or gammon, chopped
- 4 fresh eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Roast the red pepper, de-seed and rub most of the skin off, leaving a little of the burn skin for flavour.
- Chop the roasted red pepper and ham
- Beat the eggs and add a pinch of salt
- Make 1 omelette per person
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat
- Add a grind of black pepper
- Pour in the egg mix and swirl the pan to distribute evenly
- Cook for a few minutes on one side only
- Once the edges start to solidify, tip in the ham and red peppers, the centre of the omelette should still be a little runny, see the picture
- Serve immediately by tipping it onto a warmed serving plate, folding it on top of itself
- By the time it gets to the table the 'runny' part will be perfectly cooked.
A wide variety of omelette recipes
We have a number of omelette recipes from simple plain omelettes to elaborate deep-dish Spanish omelettes:
- Plain omelette
- Cheese omelette
- Biarritz omelette - inspired by Biarritz potatoes
- Garlic chive omelette
- Lebzelteromelette (Ginger omelette) - A ginger omelette from the town of Steyr .
- Smoked salmon omelette
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette
- Bayd de Zaitun (olive omelette)
- Tortilla Española - A true Spanish omelette.
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - a Spanish omelette with chillies , garlic and coriander.
- Frittata affogata - Literally meaning 'drowned omelette', this recipe comes from the Arezzo area of Tuscany.
- Chuchu - a type of flat omelette from Azerbaijan, with a copious quantity of vegetables and herbs.
- Borage frittata - a type of Italian omelette with borage as a filling.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#biarritzomelette #ham #omelette #pork #redpepper #biarritzpotatoes #seed #oliveoil #blackpepper #redpeppers #gammon