Enfrijoladas is a Tex-Mex dish that is similar to enchiladas. The tortillas are slightly fried and filled with frijoles refritos (refried beans) and pork, or in this recipe spicy chorizo. I cheated with the refried beans as I didn't have time to soak them so I used canned, which are ok if but a little too salty. I used Emmental cheese, which is not authentic but I though it would work well. It did. This dish was a huge success.
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cans refried beans (or homemade refried beans)
- 110 g (4 oz) grated Emmenthal cheese, Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 a small jar of pickled jalapeños chillies or to taste
- 150 ml to 200 ml (1/4 pint +) of beef or vegetable stock
- 120 g (4 oz) or a packet of spicy chorizo, sliced
- A handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 8 tablespoons sour cream
- Garlic olive oil for frying the corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
- In a frying pan heat a few drops of garlic olive oil and fry each tortilla for a minute or so a side.
- So you don't use too much oil, turn the first one over after a minute, put the next uncooked one on top of this to soak a little of the oil, flip them both. Remove the cooked one and repeat until they are all done. Add a few more drops of olive oil if the pan is too dry.
- Divide the chorizo the cold contents of one cans of refried beans and layer each tortilla with an equal share as in the photo.
- Lay them in an ovenproof dish
- Heat the remaining tin of beans and add enough stock to make them pourable. This way the bean sauce can get between the tortillas. Stir in the pickled jalapeños
- Pour the bean mixture between the tortillas, add a drizzle of garlic olive oil over the top and cover with the grated cheese
- Bake in the over for 30 minutes and finish under the grill if you like your cheese toasty
Fill each tortilla with chorizo and refried beans
Garnish with a dollop of sour cream on top and a sprinkle of coriander.
The Mexican way: A tip from one of our Mexican visitors - You can also fill your enfrijoladas with shredded chicken and sprinkle some chopped or thinly sliced onion on top.
- Tortillas: - Encyclopaedic page describing all variants of tortillas
- South American tortilla recipes - :
- Corn tortilla recipe - make them from scratch with masa harina
- Corn tortillas - a Thermomix recipe
- Wheat flour tortilla recipe
- Gorditas - Thick Mexican tortillas
- Quick tortillas - a recipe idea for using left over tortillas
- Burrito (or taco de harina) explained
- Minced beef burritos - A burrito recipe
- Enchiladas - a recipe and an explanation
- Chicken enchiladas
- Cheatin' chicken enchiladas a quick version of the above
- Quick beef enchiladas
- Honduran Enchiladas, This is a typical dish from Honduras
- enfrijoladas, a similar dish to enchiladas
- Pulled pork enchiladas - a nice pork recipe made using meat from Jamie Oliver's Overnight Slow Roast Pork Joint
- Homemade tortilla chips - Make superb tortilla chips from soft corn tortillas - better than anything you could buy!
- Cheese nachos - A cheese nacho recipe
- Frito pie - If you like Tex-Mex, you'll love this
- Easy frito pie - Make Frito pie-on the hoof!
- Minced beef for tacos - A Mexican spicy beef taco filling recipe
- Memphis BBQ pulled duck tacos - A duck variation on the same theme
- Sincronizada recipe - A Mexican speciality that can alos be found all over South America
- Quesadillas - A selection of quesadilla recipes
- Dobladas - Stuffed tortillas from Guatemala
- Enfrijoladas recipe - tortillas stuffed with re-fried beans and spices
- Chilaquiles - a fabulous recipe from two Mexican visitors
- Tostadas de guacamole y crema - A famous Diana Kennedy recipe
- Cheese pupusas - a stuffed tortilla from El Salvador
- Pupusa de Chicharron - similar to pupusas, again from El Salvador
- Spicy lamb tortillas - A recipe idea taken from crispy duck pancakes
- Duck fajitas - and a similar version, with crispy duck
- Gressingham Memphis Barbecue Pulled Duck - Commercially available pre-prepared pulled duck
- Spanish tortilla recipes:
- Capricorn, pea and mint tortilla - A Spanish-style tortilla with goats' cheese
- Potato and goats' cheese tortilla - Another Spanish-type with goats' cheese
- Tortilla Española - A Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla capuchina - another Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - A spicy Spanish tortilla
- Beef Skirt Steak Fajitas - Fajitas, using Taste Sensation spice mix
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette - Spicy, with squash & Greek cheese
- Omelettes - Many omelette recipes
- Misc. tortilla recipes:
- Taco shells
- Tex-Mex seasoning - Home-made Old India Taco Seasoning recipe
- Old India Taco Seasoning - The commercial variety is very good too
- Tortilla chips - Snacks/crisps.
- Taste Sensation Cajun Seasoning
- Taste Sensation fajita seasoning
- Taste Sensation harissa seasoning
- Taste Sensation Italian seasoning
- Taste Sensation Jalapeno and Lime Seasoning
- Taste Sensation Mexican seasoning
- Taste Sensation piri piri seasoning
- Tortilla press - The device and also a great tip for making them without a press!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#enfrijoladasrecipe #chorizo #garlicoliveoil #tortilla #grapefruitsalsa #corntortillas #tortillas #refriedbeans #sourcream #montereyjack #cheddarcheese