Dobladas are folded, stuffed tortillas from Guatemala.
For the tortillas:
- 330 ml hot water
- 250 g masa harina
For the filling:
- 150g Cheddar cheese, grated or your favourite strong cheese
- 2 Red peppers, chopped
- 2 small Onions, chopped
To make the tortillas:
- Mix the hot water with the masa harina - a food processor is ideal as the water should be very hot.
- Allow to cool and shape into 10 equal sized balls.
- Using a rolling pin or a tortilla press, shape into very thin disks.
- Heat a frying pan to a medium high temperature.
- Cook each tortilla on one side for 15 seconds.
- Turn and cook for 45 seconds.
- Turn again and cook for a further 15 seconds.
- They should have brown speckles.
To make the dobladas:
- Heat some oil over a lowish heat in the same frying pan.
- Mix the filling ingredients together.
- Place a tortilla in the pan and place some of the filling on one half of the tortilla.
- When the cheese has melted, fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling and serve.
I have not specified any quantities for the filling as I feel that it is down to your own individual preference.
If you don't have a tortilla press, use 2 chopping boards or just two sheets of wood as a substitute. Place ball of dough between two non-stick surfaces such as small squares of Bake-O-Glide and stand on them!
See the Tortilla Press page for UK suppliers.
- Tortillas: - Encyclopaedic page describing all variants of tortillas
- South American tortilla recipes - :
- Corn tortilla recipe - make them from scratch with masa harina
- Corn tortillas - a Thermomix recipe
- Wheat flour tortilla recipe
- Gorditas - Thick Mexican tortillas
- Quick tortillas - a recipe idea for using left over tortillas
- Burrito (or taco de harina) explained
- Minced beef burritos - A burrito recipe
- Enchiladas - a recipe and an explanation
- Chicken enchiladas
- Cheatin' chicken enchiladas a quick version of the above
- Quick beef enchiladas
- Honduran Enchiladas, This is a typical dish from Honduras
- enfrijoladas, a similar dish to enchiladas
- Homemade tortilla chips - Make superb tortilla chips from soft corn tortillas - better than anything you could buy!
- Cheese nachos - A cheese nacho recipe
- Frito pie - If you like Tex-Mex, you'll love this
- Easy frito pie - Make Frito pie-on the hoof!
- Minced beef for tacos - A Mexican spicy beef taco filling recipe
- Memphis BBQ pulled duck tacos - A duck variation on the same theme
- Sincronizada recipe - A Mexican speciality that can alos be found all over South America
- Quesadillas - A selection of quesadilla recipes
- Dobladas - Stuffed tortillas from Guatemala
- Enfrijoladas recipe - tortillas stuffed with re-fried beans and spices
- Chilaquiles - a fabulous recipe from two Mexican visitors
- Tostadas de guacamole y crema - A famous Diana Kennedy recipe
- Cheese pupusas - a stuffed tortilla from El Salvador
- Pupusa de Chicharron - similar to pupusas, again from El Salvador
- Spicy lamb tortillas - A recipe idea taken from crispy duck pancakes
- Duck fajitas - and a similar version, with crispy duck
- Gressingham Memphis Barbecue Pulled Duck - Commercially available pre-prepared pulled duck
- Spanish tortilla recipes:
- Capricorn, pea and mint tortilla - A Spanish-style tortilla with goats' cheese
- Potato and goats' cheese tortilla - Another Spanish-type with goats' cheese
- Tortilla Española - A Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla capuchina - another Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - A spicy Spanish tortilla
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette - Spicy, with squash & Greek cheese
- Omelettes - Many omelette recipes
- Misc. tortilla recipes:
- Tortilla press - The device and also a great tip for making them without a press!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.