A Frito pie typically consists of a small single-serving bag of Fritos (plain corn chips / tortilla chips), with a cup of chili poured over the top, usually finished up with grated cheese or onions and jalapeños and sour cream. Frito pies are popular in the Southwestern United States.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 150 g Fritos or other corn (maize) chips
- ¾ cup (175 ml) chopped onion
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 pound of ground beef
- taco seasoning
- 2½ cups (590 ml) chili (homemade or canned)
- 125 ml carton of sour cream
- Brown the ground beef and season according to taco seasoning mix.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Spread 2 cups of Fritos in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle half the onion , half the cheese and the chopped tomatoes over the Fritos.
- Combine ground beef with the chili and pour over the onion and cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining Fritos, onion and cheese over the chili.
- Bake for 15 or 20 minutes and cheese is bubbly.
- Serve hot, garnish with sour cream.
An orange cut into thin segments (skin on) and baked separately makes an nice refreshing accompaniment to this dish.
- Tortillas: - Encyclopaedic page describing all variants of tortillas
- South American tortilla recipes - :
- Corn tortilla recipe - make them from scratch with masa harina
- Corn tortillas - a Thermomix recipe
- Wheat flour tortilla recipe
- Gorditas - Thick Mexican tortillas
- Quick tortillas - a recipe idea for using left over tortillas
- Burrito (or taco de harina) explained
- Minced beef burritos - A burrito recipe
- Enchiladas - a recipe and an explanation
- Chicken enchiladas
- Cheatin' chicken enchiladas a quick version of the above
- Quick beef enchiladas
- Honduran Enchiladas, This is a typical dish from Honduras
- enfrijoladas, a similar dish to enchiladas
- Homemade tortilla chips - Make superb tortilla chips from soft corn tortillas - better than anything you could buy!
- Cheese nachos - A cheese nacho recipe
- Frito pie - If you like Tex-Mex, you'll love this
- Easy frito pie - Make Frito pie-on the hoof!
- Minced beef for tacos - A Mexican spicy beef taco filling recipe
- Memphis BBQ pulled duck tacos - A duck variation on the same theme
- Sincronizada recipe - A Mexican speciality that can alos be found all over South America
- Quesadillas - A selection of quesadilla recipes
- Dobladas - Stuffed tortillas from Guatemala
- Enfrijoladas recipe - tortillas stuffed with re-fried beans and spices
- Chilaquiles - a fabulous recipe from two Mexican visitors
- Tostadas de guacamole y crema - A famous Diana Kennedy recipe
- Cheese pupusas - a stuffed tortilla from El Salvador
- Pupusa de Chicharron - similar to pupusas, again from El Salvador
- Spicy lamb tortillas - A recipe idea taken from crispy duck pancakes
- Duck fajitas - and a similar version, with crispy duck
- Gressingham Memphis Barbecue Pulled Duck - Commercially available pre-prepared pulled duck
- Spanish tortilla recipes:
- Capricorn, pea and mint tortilla - A Spanish-style tortilla with goats' cheese
- Potato and goats' cheese tortilla - Another Spanish-type with goats' cheese
- Tortilla Española - A Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla capuchina - another Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - A spicy Spanish tortilla
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette - Spicy, with squash & Greek cheese
- Omelettes - Many omelette recipes
- Misc. tortilla recipes:
- Tortilla press - The device and also a great tip for making them without a press!
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.