Tortilla 'batatas harras'
- 130 ml olive oil
- 1 kg potatoes, preferably ones which are not floury, eg Cara, Nadine, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 bulbs garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 4 chillies, finely chopped
- 70 g coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium sized, deepish frying pan at a medium temperarure.
- When hot, add the potatoes, onions, garlic and chillies.
- Cover and reduce the heat, stirring from time to time until the potatoes are cooked and slightly browned (about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, beat the egg and seasonings thoroughly in a bowl.
- Drain off most of the excess oil and add the potato mixture to the eggs and stir in the coriander leaves.
- Pour the whole lot back into the pan - there should be enough oil left to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Increase the heat to medium again and cook the omelette until the bottom and sides have set.
- Turn out the omelette onto a plate and slide it back into the pan upside down, so that the other side can be cooked. Alternatively, you can simply leave the omlette in the pan and place it under the grill until the top has set.
- Once cooked, turn it out onto a plate and leave to cool. It is best served at room temperature.
- Tortillas: - Encyclopaedic page describing all variants of tortillas
- South American tortilla recipes - :
- Corn tortilla recipe - make them from scratch with masa harina
- Corn tortillas - a Thermomix recipe
- Wheat flour tortilla recipe
- Gorditas - Thick Mexican tortillas
- Quick tortillas - a recipe idea for using left over tortillas
- Burrito (or taco de harina) explained
- Minced beef burritos - A burrito recipe
- Enchiladas - a recipe and an explanation
- Chicken enchiladas
- Cheatin' chicken enchiladas a quick version of the above
- Quick beef enchiladas
- Honduran Enchiladas, This is a typical dish from Honduras
- enfrijoladas, a similar dish to enchiladas
- Homemade tortilla chips - Make superb tortilla chips from soft corn tortillas - better than anything you could buy!
- Cheese nachos - A cheese nacho recipe
- Frito pie - If you like Tex-Mex, you'll love this
- Easy frito pie - Make Frito pie-on the hoof!
- Minced beef for tacos - A Mexican spicy beef taco filling recipe
- Memphis BBQ pulled duck tacos - A duck variation on the same theme
- Sincronizada recipe - A Mexican speciality that can alos be found all over South America
- Quesadillas - A selection of quesadilla recipes
- Dobladas - Stuffed tortillas from Guatemala
- Enfrijoladas recipe - tortillas stuffed with re-fried beans and spices
- Chilaquiles - a fabulous recipe from two Mexican visitors
- Tostadas de guacamole y crema - A famous Diana Kennedy recipe
- Cheese pupusas - a stuffed tortilla from El Salvador
- Pupusa de Chicharron - similar to pupusas, again from El Salvador
- Spicy lamb tortillas - A recipe idea taken from crispy duck pancakes
- Duck fajitas - and a similar version, with crispy duck
- Gressingham Memphis Barbecue Pulled Duck - Commercially available pre-prepared pulled duck
- Spanish tortilla recipes:
- Capricorn, pea and mint tortilla - A Spanish-style tortilla with goats' cheese
- Potato and goats' cheese tortilla - Another Spanish-type with goats' cheese
- Tortilla Española - A Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla capuchina - another Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - A spicy Spanish tortilla
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette - Spicy, with squash & Greek cheese
- Omelettes - Many omelette recipes
- Misc. tortilla recipes:
- Tortilla press - The device and also a great tip for making them without a press!
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.