The idea for this recipe came from Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home. I've often used fruit in savoury recipes but never with strawberries. They have a fantastic flavour and just the right amount of tartness to cut a fatty meat such as pork.
As it's August, Morrison's (and probably every other supermarket) has strawberries on special offer - 2 x 400g cartons of British strawberries for £3.00 so what you don't use in this recipe you can enjoy with a dollop of soured cream as a sweet.
Most of the preparation time is spent in allowing the cooked ingredients to cool.
- 200g fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or balsamic glaze)
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 small basil plant (supermarket-type)
- 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 200g halloumi cheese, sliced to 5mm
- 10 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- A small bag of tender salad leaves
- 1 small red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 120g selection of continental meats (eg: Morrisons 'Spanish Platter')
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
The easiest way I've found to remove the peduncle (petiole) from a strawberry is with a pair of long-nosed pliers
Morrison's Spanish platter (120g - £2)
- Pick most of the basil leaves and gently fry for 5 minutes in 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- Allow to cool and drain the oil in a sieve and discard the leaves
- Fry the sliced halloumi in a frying pan or griddle tray for 2 minutes a side, moistening the pan with a smear of olive oil
- Remove the cheese allow to cool, then chop into smaller slices
- De-hull the strawberries (my long-nosed plier tip works brilliantly on strawberries that are not over-ripe). Cut the strawberries into thin slices.
- When the basil infused oil has cooled, mix it with the juice and zest of 1 lime and a pinch of salt and black pepper
- Add the strawberries and the oil to a bowl and leave them until you are ready to put the dish together. Drain and reserve the strawberry/basil oil to use a a final dressing.
- With the cold sliced halloumi as a base, build the salad in layers with the salad leaves, mint leaves, sliced onions, Spanish meats and the remaining fresh basil leaves. Finally drizzle with the flavoured olive oil.
- This dish was fantastic, I loved the idea so much that some more strawberries have already been bought to go with Sunday's roast pork!
This would make a brilliant starter and an impressive anti-pasta dish.
Make a spicy version; use Hugh's fried halloumi.
- Beetroot falafel with toasted halloumi cheese
- Courgette and Halloumi Falafels
- Grilled sausage and halloumi salad with avocados
- Halloumi, fennel and apple salad
- Halloumi, fennel and kiwi fruit salad
- Halloumi, fennel and pink grapefruit salad
- Hugh's fried halloumi
- Melon salad with grilled halloumi cheese croutons
- Pork and strawberry salad with grilled halloumi cheese
- Skewiff beetroot and halloumi
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette
- Warm halloumi and fennel salad
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#strawberries #oliveoil #basil #halloumi #zest #porkandstrawberrysaladwithgrilledhalloumicheese #fry #salad #juice #lime #spanish