Pork and strawberry salad with grilled halloumi cheese
The idea for this recipe came from Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home. I've often used fruit in savoury recipes but never with strawberries. They have a fantastic flavour and just the right amount of tartness to cut a fatty meat such as pork.
As it's August, Morrison's (and probably every other supermarket) has strawberries on special offer - 2 x 400g cartons of British strawberries for £3.00 so what you don't use in this recipe you can enjoy with a dollop of soured cream as a sweet.
Most of the preparation time is spent in allowing the cooked ingredients to cool.
- 200g fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or balsamic glaze)
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 small basil plant (supermarket-type)
- 5 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 200g halloumi cheese, sliced to 5mm
- 10 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- A small bag of tender salad leaves
- 1 small red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 120g selection of continental meats (eg: Morrisons 'Spanish Platter')
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pick most of the basil leaves and gently fry for 5 minutes in 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- Allow to cool and drain the oil in a sieve and discard the leaves
- Fry the sliced halloumi in a frying pan or griddle tray for 2 minutes a side, moistening the pan with a smear of olive oil
- Remove the cheese allow to cool, then chop into smaller slices
- De-hull the strawberries (my long-nosed plier tip works brilliantly on strawberries that are not over-ripe). Cut the strawberries into thin slices.
- When the basil infused oil has cooled, mix it with the juice and zest of 1 lime and a pinch of salt and black pepper
- Add the strawberries and the oil to a bowl and leave them until you are ready to put the dish together. Drain and reserve the strawberry/basil oil to use a a final dressing.
- With the cold sliced halloumi as a base, build the salad in layers with the salad leaves, mint leaves, sliced onions, Spanish meats and the remaining fresh basil leaves. Finally drizzle with the flavoured olive oil.
- This dish was fantastic, I loved the idea so much that some more strawberries have already been bought to go with Sunday's roast pork!
This would make a brilliant starter and an impressive anti-pasta dish.
Make a spicy version; use Hugh's fried halloumi.
- Beetroot falafel with toasted halloumi cheese
- Courgette and Halloumi Falafels
- Grilled sausage and halloumi salad with avocados
- Halloumi, fennel and apple salad
- Halloumi, fennel and kiwi fruit salad
- Halloumi, fennel and pink grapefruit salad
- Hugh's fried halloumi
- Melon salad with grilled halloumi cheese croutons
- Pork and strawberry salad with grilled halloumi cheese
- Skewiff beetroot and halloumi
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette
- Warm halloumi and fennel salad
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.