4.8/5 Strange idea but it tastes great and was not too difficult to make. Thanks. The Judge
Literally meaning 'drowned omelette' this recipe comes from the Arezzo area of Tuscany.
- 5 free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- Garlic to taste, finely chopped
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped (use canned if fresh are not available)
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with the flour, breadcrumbs and seasoning.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan until hot, the add the egg mixture.
- When the underside is cooked, slide it onto a plate and the back into the pan on the other side and cook until golden.
- Leave until it is totally cold.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion, celery and carrot until the onion is soft, then add the garlic and tomatoes.
- Season, mix well and simmer until you have a smooth, rich sauce - about 20 minutes.
- Cut the omelette into strips, add to the sauce and heat through for 5 minutes.
- Serve, sprinkled with the Parmesan cheese.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
A wide variety of omelette recipes
We have a number of omelette recipes from simple plain omelettes to elaborate deep-dish Spanish omelettes:
- Plain omelette
- Cheese omelette
- Biarritz omelette - inspired by Biarritz potatoes
- Garlic chive omelette
- Lebzelteromelette (Ginger omelette) - A ginger omelette from the town of Steyr .
- Smoked salmon omelette
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette
- Bayd de Zaitun (olive omelette)
- Tortilla Española - A true Spanish omelette.
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - a Spanish omelette with chillies , garlic and coriander.
- Frittata affogata - Literally meaning 'drowned omelette', this recipe comes from the Arezzo area of Tuscany.
- Chuchu - a type of flat omelette from Azerbaijan, with a copious quantity of vegetables and herbs.
- Borage frittata - a type of Italian omelette with borage as a filling.
#frittataaffogata #omelette #garlic #carrot #sauce #breadcrumbs #celery #onion #plumtomatoes #simmer #tomatoes