Literally meaning 'drowned omelette' this recipe comes from the Arezzo area of Tuscany.
- 5 free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- Garlic to taste, finely chopped
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped (use canned if fresh are not available)
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with the flour, breadcrumbs and seasoning.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan until hot, the add the egg mixture.
- When the underside is cooked, slide it onto a plate and the back into the pan on the other side and cook until golden.
- Leave until it is totally cold.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion, celery and carrot until the onion is soft, then add the garlic and tomatoes.
- Season, mix well and simmer until you have a smooth, rich sauce - about 20 minutes.
- Cut the omelette into strips, add to the sauce and heat through for 5 minutes.
- Serve, sprinkled with the Parmesan cheese.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.