4.8/5 I love how easy this is to make and gruyere is just my favourite cheese. The Judge
As omelettes are so quick and easy to make, it's probably better to make an individual omelette for each person rather than make one huge omelette. Either way, I would not recommend making a single omelette for more that three people as it would not cook properly.
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 50 g ( 2 oz) gruyere cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Splash of cream or milk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- Break the eggs into a bowl with the salt, pepper, milk and cheese
- Mix roughly with a knife. Don't whisk - it's nice to get some white and yolk only areas in the omelette
- Add the butter to a small frying pan
- When the butter is foaming add the mixture to the pan
- Fry for 2 minutes on this side, pulling the solid edges to the centre with a fork
- Flip over and fry for 1 minute on the other side
- Slide on to a warm serving plate, folding the omelette - the last bit of cooking is done one the plate this way
Experiment with various cheeses, chopped herbs such as chives or parsley.
Rub the pan with half a garlic clove prior to frying (discard the garlic).
Add a handful of microwaved mixed vegetables just before folding over.
A wide variety of omelette recipes
We have a number of omelette recipes from simple plain omelettes to elaborate deep-dish Spanish omelettes:
- Plain omelette
- Cheese omelette
- Biarritz omelette - inspired by Biarritz potatoes
- Garlic chive omelette
- Lebzelteromelette (Ginger omelette) - A ginger omelette from the town of Steyr .
- Smoked salmon omelette
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette
- Bayd de Zaitun (olive omelette)
- Tortilla Española - A true Spanish omelette.
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - a Spanish omelette with chillies , garlic and coriander.
- Frittata affogata - Literally meaning 'drowned omelette', this recipe comes from the Arezzo area of Tuscany.
- Chuchu - a type of flat omelette from Azerbaijan, with a copious quantity of vegetables and herbs.
- Borage frittata - a type of Italian omelette with borage as a filling.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#butter #cheeseomelette #eggs #blackpepper #garlic #panfried #chives #cream