An unusual slant on the Mexican favourite. Serve this with cherry salsa, chopped avocados, spring onions and cucumbers and you will have an exceptional evening meal. As it's a Mexican variation of crispy duck pancakes there is nothing to stop you using Chinese pancakes for this dish (except you can get more in a tortilla!)
- 2 duck breasts with skin
- 150 g (5 oz) Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 sweet peppers of any colour, de-seeded and sliced
- 2 small hot red chillies, deseeded and sliced into rings
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground white cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or dried minced garlic (ground)
- Splash of dry sherry
- 1 Packet of corn tortillas
- 2 large spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- With a very sharp knife, cut a few slashes in the skin of the duck
- Place the duck, skin-side down in a cold frying pan and cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat, regularly draining any excess fat.
- Flip the breasts over and cook for another 10 minutes or so, until nicely seared. Duck is ok to eat rare.
- Remove and rest for 5 minutes
- Cut the duck width-wise into slices
- Heat the pan, with a little oil until, add the peppers and onions and and fry on a high heat for about 4 minutes. Add all but the sherry and spring onions and stir-fry for a few minutes
- Add a good splash of sherry and stir to de-glaze the pan.
- Place the duck mixture in a serving bowl
- Assemble the pancakes like this
If using legs (I could not get breasts on the day I made this) you will probably be better cooking in an oven - they take so much longer because you don't get good contact with the pan as you do with breasts. 180° C (350° F - gas 4) for 45 minutes.
Duck is OK to eat rare. I remember being muttered at by the charming waiter at in a French restaurant when asking for duck (breasts) bien cuit!
- Tortillas: - Encyclopaedic page describing all variants of tortillas
- South American tortilla recipes - :
- Corn tortilla recipe - make them from scratch with masa harina
- Corn tortillas - a Thermomix recipe
- Wheat flour tortilla recipe
- Gorditas - Thick Mexican tortillas
- Quick tortillas - a recipe idea for using left over tortillas
- Burrito (or taco de harina) explained
- Minced beef burritos - A burrito recipe
- Enchiladas - a recipe and an explanation
- Chicken enchiladas
- Cheatin' chicken enchiladas a quick version of the above
- Quick beef enchiladas
- Honduran Enchiladas, This is a typical dish from Honduras
- enfrijoladas, a similar dish to enchiladas
- Homemade tortilla chips - Make superb tortilla chips from soft corn tortillas - better than anything you could buy!
- Cheese nachos - A cheese nacho recipe
- Frito pie - If you like Tex-Mex, you'll love this
- Easy frito pie - Make Frito pie-on the hoof!
- Minced beef for tacos - A Mexican spicy beef taco filling recipe
- Memphis BBQ pulled duck tacos - A duck variation on the same theme
- Sincronizada recipe - A Mexican speciality that can alos be found all over South America
- Quesadillas - A selection of quesadilla recipes
- Dobladas - Stuffed tortillas from Guatemala
- Enfrijoladas recipe - tortillas stuffed with re-fried beans and spices
- Chilaquiles - a fabulous recipe from two Mexican visitors
- Tostadas de guacamole y crema - A famous Diana Kennedy recipe
- Cheese pupusas - a stuffed tortilla from El Salvador
- Pupusa de Chicharron - similar to pupusas, again from El Salvador
- Spicy lamb tortillas - A recipe idea taken from crispy duck pancakes
- Duck fajitas - and a similar version, with crispy duck
- Gressingham Memphis Barbecue Pulled Duck - Commercially available pre-prepared pulled duck
- Spanish tortilla recipes:
- Capricorn, pea and mint tortilla - A Spanish-style tortilla with goats' cheese
- Potato and goats' cheese tortilla - Another Spanish-type with goats' cheese
- Tortilla Española - A Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla capuchina - another Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - A spicy Spanish tortilla
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette - Spicy, with squash & Greek cheese
- Omelettes - Many omelette recipes
- Misc. tortilla recipes:
- Tortilla press - The device and also a great tip for making them without a press!
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.