Rather than buying packets of Mexican spice mix from that well known company, make your own. It's easy, allows you to tailor it to your taste. The recipe is easy to adjust to make different quantities.
The Main ingredients that give that authentic flavour are the oregano, cumin seeds and chili powder. I would suggest you keep those at the levels here and adjust the other items if you have a desire to tinker.
Everything is in teaspoons to make it easy to make different quantities - use tablespoons at the same rate to make more.
Commercially available Tex-Mex seasoning
I also use ready made seasoning mixes, but the one I had been using changed and was far too salty so I went in search of another supplier. This let to my discovery of Taste Sensation Ltd. if you love your spices and seasonings, take a look at them. They sell them directly and via Amazon UK and I can thoroughly recommend them. Also, Nick Lumby, who has run the company for 20 years, is a really nice guy!
- 2 teaspoons chili powder or chili flakes or crushed dried chillies
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano or oregano leaves
- 3 teaspoons dried garlic granules or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 teaspoons white cumin seeds
- 5 teaspoons onion powder or dried onion flakes
- Grind all the ingredients to powder in a coffee grinder
- Mix together well if you had to do this in batches
Store in an airtight container out of the light.
35 g of this spice mix is sufficient to season; chicken, pork, beef for four people. Rub the mix on the meat, coat well with a tablespoon of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice and marinate for 2 hours.
I've recently discovered Old India Taco Seasoning, which saves me from makling this. It's sold in 500g quantities, which last us about 4 months! Wonderful stuff. Give it a try.
- Tortillas: - Encyclopaedic page describing all variants of tortillas
- South American tortilla recipes - :
- Corn tortilla recipe - make them from scratch with masa harina
- Corn tortillas - a Thermomix recipe
- Wheat flour tortilla recipe
- Gorditas - Thick Mexican tortillas
- Quick tortillas - a recipe idea for using left over tortillas
- Burrito (or taco de harina) explained
- Minced beef burritos - A burrito recipe
- Enchiladas - a recipe and an explanation
- Chicken enchiladas
- Cheatin' chicken enchiladas a quick version of the above
- Quick beef enchiladas
- Honduran Enchiladas, This is a typical dish from Honduras
- enfrijoladas, a similar dish to enchiladas
- Pulled pork enchiladas - a nice pork recipe made using meat from Jamie Oliver's Overnight Slow Roast Pork Joint
- Homemade tortilla chips - Make superb tortilla chips from soft corn tortillas - better than anything you could buy!
- Cheese nachos - A cheese nacho recipe
- Frito pie - If you like Tex-Mex, you'll love this
- Easy frito pie - Make Frito pie-on the hoof!
- Minced beef for tacos - A Mexican spicy beef taco filling recipe
- Memphis BBQ pulled duck tacos - A duck variation on the same theme
- Sincronizada recipe - A Mexican speciality that can alos be found all over South America
- Quesadillas - A selection of quesadilla recipes
- Dobladas - Stuffed tortillas from Guatemala
- Enfrijoladas recipe - tortillas stuffed with re-fried beans and spices
- Chilaquiles - a fabulous recipe from two Mexican visitors
- Tostadas de guacamole y crema - A famous Diana Kennedy recipe
- Cheese pupusas - a stuffed tortilla from El Salvador
- Pupusa de Chicharron - similar to pupusas, again from El Salvador
- Spicy lamb tortillas - A recipe idea taken from crispy duck pancakes
- Duck fajitas - and a similar version, with crispy duck
- Gressingham Memphis Barbecue Pulled Duck - Commercially available pre-prepared pulled duck
- Spanish tortilla recipes:
- Capricorn, pea and mint tortilla - A Spanish-style tortilla with goats' cheese
- Potato and goats' cheese tortilla - Another Spanish-type with goats' cheese
- Tortilla Española - A Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla capuchina - another Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - A spicy Spanish tortilla
- Beef Skirt Steak Fajitas - Fajitas, using Taste Sensation spice mix
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette - Spicy, with squash & Greek cheese
- Omelettes - Many omelette recipes
- Misc. tortilla recipes:
- Taco shells
- Tex-Mex seasoning - Home-made Old India Taco Seasoning recipe
- Old India Taco Seasoning - The commercial variety is very good too
- Tortilla chips - Snacks/crisps.
- Taste Sensation Cajun Seasoning
- Taste Sensation fajita seasoning
- Taste Sensation harissa seasoning
- Taste Sensation Italian seasoning
- Taste Sensation Jalapeno and Lime Seasoning
- Taste Sensation Mexican seasoning
- Taste Sensation piri piri seasoning
- Tortilla press - The device and also a great tip for making them without a press!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#texmexseasoning #chilipowder #oregano #vegetableoil #paprikapowder #whitecumin #stock #driedgarlicgranules #garlic #coffeegrinder #beef