A nice easy starter recipe. - Klapaucius
A good way to use up leftover soft tortillas from last night's party.
Would also possibly work on hard tacos but I had none of these 'in stock'. Let me know if it works for you when using them.
Can be eaten for breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon snack, or supper.
I look forward to hearing any interesting suggestions for other ingredients to use as fillings.
- Soft tortillas, as many as required (see above)
- Slices of cheese - any variety you have available is suitable (better if melting variety)
- Softened butter, margarine, oil or your favourite spread (optional)
- Slices of cold meats (ham, prosciutto, mortadella, liver pate)
- Slices of anything you like and is in your fridge e.g. avocado, tomato, etc)
- A few leaves of lettuce (Cos, Iceberg, Chinese, etc) or a small handful of shredded lettuce
- Table salt/coarse sea salt (not too much) and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To spice it up, a little bit of chilli or paprika powder (optional)
- (Optional) Spread each tortilla with as much or as little oil/butter/marge/spread as you want
- Layer each one with slices of cheese - not necessary to go right to the edges
- Pop them in the microwave for 10-15 secs or under a preheated hot grill for 1-2 mins to melt the cheese till it bubbles
- Let the cheese cool slightly to make them easier to handle (careful - hot cheese can burn fingers)
- The cheese melting is optional too - I just feel it brings out its flavour that much better, especially if it's slightly charred, but without burning the tortilla of course
- Layer with slices of any delicious cold cuts
- Add the leaves or shredded lettuce.
- Season with salt, pepper and, as you wish, chilli or paprika powder
- Fold in half, roll up or fold in that fancy way into a pocket (for the latter, it's sometimes easier to put in the lettuce after the folding)
Put in a nicely coloured and/or decorated serviette or napkin.
Try and make sure some of the components peek out the top of the wrap to make it as visually attractive as possible (food presentation is not my strongest suite either).
Don't add too much of any of the ingredients and overload each tortilla - a little goes a long way
- Tortillas: - Encyclopaedic page describing all variants of tortillas
- South American tortilla recipes - :
- Corn tortilla recipe - make them from scratch with masa harina
- Corn tortillas - a Thermomix recipe
- Wheat flour tortilla recipe
- Gorditas - Thick Mexican tortillas
- Quick tortillas - a recipe idea for using left over tortillas
- Burrito (or taco de harina) explained
- Minced beef burritos - A burrito recipe
- Enchiladas - a recipe and an explanation
- Chicken enchiladas
- Cheatin' chicken enchiladas a quick version of the above
- Quick beef enchiladas
- Honduran Enchiladas, This is a typical dish from Honduras
- enfrijoladas, a similar dish to enchiladas
- Homemade tortilla chips - Make superb tortilla chips from soft corn tortillas - better than anything you could buy!
- Cheese nachos - A cheese nacho recipe
- Frito pie - If you like Tex-Mex, you'll love this
- Easy frito pie - Make Frito pie-on the hoof!
- Minced beef for tacos - A Mexican spicy beef taco filling recipe
- Memphis BBQ pulled duck tacos - A duck variation on the same theme
- Sincronizada recipe - A Mexican speciality that can alos be found all over South America
- Quesadillas - A selection of quesadilla recipes
- Dobladas - Stuffed tortillas from Guatemala
- Enfrijoladas recipe - tortillas stuffed with re-fried beans and spices
- Chilaquiles - a fabulous recipe from two Mexican visitors
- Tostadas de guacamole y crema - A famous Diana Kennedy recipe
- Cheese pupusas - a stuffed tortilla from El Salvador
- Pupusa de Chicharron - similar to pupusas, again from El Salvador
- Spicy lamb tortillas - A recipe idea taken from crispy duck pancakes
- Duck fajitas - and a similar version, with crispy duck
- Gressingham Memphis Barbecue Pulled Duck - Commercially available pre-prepared pulled duck
- Spanish tortilla recipes:
- Capricorn, pea and mint tortilla - A Spanish-style tortilla with goats' cheese
- Potato and goats' cheese tortilla - Another Spanish-type with goats' cheese
- Tortilla Española - A Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla capuchina - another Spanish tortilla
- Tortilla 'batatas harras' - A spicy Spanish tortilla
- Beef Skirt Steak Fajitas - Fajitas, using Taste Sensation spice mix
- Squash, halloumi and chilli omelette - Spicy, with squash & Greek cheese
- Omelettes - Many omelette recipes
- Misc. tortilla recipes:
- Taco shells
- Tex-Mex seasoning - Home-made Old India Taco Seasoning recipe
- Old India Taco Seasoning - The commercial variety is very good too
- Tortilla chips - Snacks/crisps.
- Taste Sensation Cajun Seasoning
- Taste Sensation fajita seasoning
- Taste Sensation harissa seasoning
- Taste Sensation Italian seasoning
- Taste Sensation Jalapeno and Lime Seasoning
- Taste Sensation Mexican seasoning
- Taste Sensation piri piri seasoning
- Tortilla press - The device and also a great tip for making them without a press!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#quicktortillas #paprikapowder #softtortillas #butter #chilli #liverpate #ham #tacos #cheese #tomato #coarseseasalt