Garlic olive oil
Making this is an annual event!
5/5 Since I discovered this, I've been making a huge batch every year. Jerry, aka Chef)
I have been making this for many years now without any problems, however, I would advise proceeding with plenty of caution and most definitely advise that you read the notes on homemade garlic olive oil and botulism before you even consider making your own.
I leave these notes purely as a personal aide-memoir for my future batches.
Makes about 5 litres of garlic olive oil
- 5 litres of olive oil (extra virgin not needed)
- 12 garlic bulbs, complete, stalks and outside skin removed - see picture.
- Add the oil to a very large pan, complete with the garlic bulbs.
- Very gently bring the oil to a slow rolling boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour, gently crushing the garlic bulbs with a potato masher or similar.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes
- Repeat the process above
- Cool and stand 2 hours
- Strain the oil multiple times, finally filter through a muslin cloth
- Store in sterilised bottles - it seems to keep forever.
- 4 litres oil
- 20 complete bulbs of garlic
- 2 tablespoons Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons bird's eye chillies
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#garlicoliveoil #garlic #chillies #peppercorns #szechuanpeppercorns #servings #saladdressings #stirfries #dipsandsauces