Refried beans recipe
- 500g (1lb 2oz) dried pinto beans
- 1.2 litres (2 pints) water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 250g (9oz) smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- knob of butter
- Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water. Drain and re-rinse.
- Boil the beans in 1.2 litres (2 pints) of water boil until tender. Reserve the cooking water.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat the oil and butter and fry the the onion until soft.
- Add the bacon and fry it until cooked, but not crispy.
- Mash the beans, a potato ricer or masher is good for this, then mix them with the fried bacon and onion.
- Stir in a little of the reserved cooking water so the beans are the same consistency as double cream.
Serve hot as a side dish or as an ingredient in your recipe.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.