Beetroot and bitter salad leaf risotto dressed with goats' cheese
This risotto recipe is a variation of a recipe on a Sainsbury's card.
It serves 4 with fairly small portions, but it is quite filling.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 1.2 litres weak vegetable stock (use 1 chicken stock cube or 1 level teaspoon of chicken bouillon powder.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A big pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 300 g pack of cooked beetroot, dipped in vinegar
- Freshly picked and chopped thyme leaves from a large sprig of thyme
- 250 g Italian risotto rice
- 100g roll of goats' cheese, crumbled
- 80 g mixed bitter salad leaves, (watercress, spinach, rocket), large stems discarded
- Roughly grate the beetroot
- Blitz half of the grated beetroot to a pureé in a food processor and keep the grated beetroot and the beetroot pureé separate
- Make up the stock with boiling water and keep it hot over a very low flame
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add a big pinch of black pepper
- Sauté the onion for 5 minutes, don't brown it.
- Sauté the garlic for 1 minute
- Stir in the rice and allow it to become coated by the oil
- Mix in the grated beetroot and half of the thyme leaves
- Allow the beetroot to warm through
- Start adding the hot stock to the rice, 1 ladleful at a time. Wait until the previous ladle of stock has been completely absorbed before adding the next ladleful. This will take 25 to 35 minutes.
- Keep the rice simmering during this stage
- When you are down to the last ladle of stock, add it with the beetroot pureé and ensure most of the liquid is absorbed into the rice
- Stir in the salad leaves and half of the goats' cheese, let the leaves wilt and the cheese melt into the rice, giving it a nice creamy finish
- Spoon onto serving plates and dress with the remaining goats' cheese and salad leaves
We have a great selection of beetroot recipes. My favourite is the Beetroot rosti.
- How to cook beetroot - Many ways to cook freshly picked beetroot
- Beetroot rosti - a sugary, chewy, savoury accompaniment
- Beetroot and bitter salad leaf risotto dressed with goats' cheese - a different risotto altogether!
- Mrs Beeton's original pickled beetroot recipe - this recipe makes 4 litres of pickled beetroot
- Mrs Beeton's original pickled beetroot recipe - this recipe makes 1 litre of pickled beetroot
- Repasaláta (Beetroot salad) - a Czechoslovakian beetroot salad with horseradish, egg, capers, gherkins and more!
- Italian beetroot salad - a minty beetroot salad
- Borscht - the classic Soviet soup
- Barsczyk (Polish beetroot soup) - The previous recipe, made the Polish way
- Beetroot and apple soup - a soup with character and lots of garlic
- Barley Couscous, Beetroot and Feta Salad - a filling salad
- Roast beetroot and Stilton salad - yet another recipe combining beetroot and horseradish
- Beetroot falafel with toasted halloumi cheese - anything with halloumi must be good.
- Lamb and beetroot casserole - Another robust meal
- Beetroot and Goats Cheese Bruschetta - A herby lunchtime snack
- Gazpacho de remolacha - A beetroot gazpacho
- Remolachas a la Sevillana - Beetroot cooked in sherry
- Salsa de Remolacha y Almendra (Beetroot and Almond Sauce) (TM) - A Thermomix recipe
- Beetroot salad (hot) - An Indian influenced beetroot salad
- Beetroot salad (cold) - The hot (temperature) version of the above
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.