Beetroot and apple soup
I thought this sounded odd!
It's lovely, especially with horseradish cream - yum! - The Judge
- 750g raw beetroot, thoroughly washed, skin and roots intact
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, quartered and cored
- 1 ½ litres water
- 1 tablespoon Bron's Spanish vegetable stock concentrate
- 2 star anise
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons horseradish, grated
- 1 tablespoon natural yogurt or sour cream
- Chives, snipped
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Place the beetroot in 1cm of water in a baking tray and bake for at least 1 hour until tender - if using just one large beetroot, it can take 3 hours
- Remove from the oven and run under cold water for a couple of minutes until cool
- Peel, chop and reserve
- Heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pan over a low to medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and sweat over a medium heat with the lid on until soft and slightly caramelised.
- Add the apple and beetroot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour on the stock, add thevstar anise and seasoning and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the star anise, then blitz the soup for 2-3 minutes until velvety smooth.
- Serve with snipped chives and a dollop of yogurt mixed with the horseradish
- Lightly adapted from a recipe in Great British Life
Any vegetable stock will be fine.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#beetroot #beetrootandapplesoup #yoghurt #onions #horseradish #garlic #chives #staranise #grated #vegetablestock #simmer