Pickled beetroot recipe
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Perfect with cod and chips
This recipe is the original Mrs Beeton's recipe that has been adapted to use specific quantities and to suit Cookipedia's standard layout. Whilst some recipes and available ingredients improve with age, you really can't beat this 1860's classic.
This recipe makes quite a large quantity, see here for a recipe using smaller quantities, more suited to those who want to try the recipe out.
- 2 kg medium-sized beetroots
- 2 litres clear (white) pickling vinegar
- 25 g whole allspice berries
- 25 g black peppercorns
- Wash the beetroot free of any dirt but do not scrub hard and be careful not to nick the skins (or they will leach colour).
- Trim the leaves and the tap-root.
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil, add the beetroot and simmer for 90 minutes.
- Drain the beetroot and set aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, rub the skins off and trim as needed.
- Cut into slices about 12mm thick.
- Pack the slices into sterilised Kilner-type jars.
- Meanwhile, add the vinegar and the spices to a large pan and in a well-ventilated room, bring to a boil and continue to boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- You can strain the spices through a linen cloth or leave them in. I enjoy my pickles quite spicy so tend to leave them in, especially if I have added extra dried chillies!
- Pour the vinegar over the beetroot, ensuring that it is totally covered.
- Seal the jars securely, mark them with the date and set aside in a cool, dark, cupboard and allow to mature for a few weeks before use.
If you need to ensure that you have enough jars, vinegar and beetroot, pack the sliced beetroot into your jars, cover with water, then measure the water used to calculate how much vinegar etc. you'll need.
Pat the beetroot slices dry again, before pickling.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#beetroot #vinegar #pickledbeetrootrecipe #kilner #boil #miseenplace #blackpeppercorns #cookipedia #sterilised #pickled #driedchillies