Lamb and beetroot casserole
Great for the beetroot season
A colourful main course stew. Ideal for cold winter evenings.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 800 g boned lamb shoulder, roughly diced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 700 g fresh beetroot, peeled and roughly diced
- 1.5 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 litre of vegetable stock or water
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a lidded casserole or Dutch oven
- Brown the lamb pieces all over
- Remove and reserve the meat, retaining as much of the oil as you can
- Add the onions, lower the heat a little and sauté until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Put the meat back in the pot, add the tomato puree, beetroot, stock, caraway seeds, salt and pepper and mix well
- Cover and gently simmer for 1.5 hours.
- If the gravy is still very liquid then remove the lid and simmer for another 30 minutes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#lambandbeetrootcasserole #carawayseeds #lamb #onions #simmer #diced #parsley #beetroot #tomatopuree #oliveoil #vegetablestock