Gazpacho de remolacha
- 1 kg uncooked beetroot, skin intact and stalk trimmed to leave about 1cm
- 2 kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
- ½ a large onion, peeled and sliced
- Garlic, to taste, chopped or crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- 80 ml Single cream
- Boil the beetroot in salted water, for at least an hour, depending on size, until it is cooked.
- Peel and cut into pieces.
- Place in a blender or food processor with all the other ingredients except for the salt and cream.
- Check for seasoning and add a little cold water if the soup is too thick.
- Chill and serve in cups or bowls, drizzled with a little cream.
If you cannot get fresh beetroot, you could try it using the pre cooked vacuum-packed stuff or some of the excellent organic beetroot juices now available. However, avoid like the plague the jarred beetroot in vinegar as it will make the gazpacho taste vile. If using juice, you may need to thicken it with some breadcrumbs.
Make sure that the beetroot skins are intact or you will lose colour and flavour.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.