Pickled beetroot recipe (1 litre qty)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
I have adapted the original Mrs Beeton's original pickled beetroot recipe for a less industrial quantity than hers. This recipe also uses off the (supermarket) shelf ingredients. You don't even need a Kilner jar, the jar that contains the Sarson's pickling vinegar can be sterilised by a hot wash in the dishwasher and used to store the pickled beetroot. You'll even have some spare spicy vinegar left over for your fish and chips.
- 1 x 500 g bunch of beetroots (about 5 to 7 medium sized beetroots
- 1 x 1.14 litre jar of Sarson's clear white pickling vinegar
- * The vinegar purports to be already spiced, but I like to add a little zip to my pickles, hence the pickling spices..
- 1 x 26g packet of Schwartz `Pickling Spice' 'pictured
- Wash the beetroot free of any dirt but do not scrub hard and be careful not to nick the skins (or they will leach colour).
- Trim the leaves, leaving a few mm of the stem and remove the tap-root without cutting the skin of the beetroot.
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil, add the beetroot and simmer for 90 minutes.
- Drain the beetroot and set aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, rub the skins off and properly trim the stems and roots.
- Cut into slices about 12mm thick.
- Sterilise the Pickling vinegar jar (or a 1 litre Kilner jar - A hot wash in the dishwasher should suffice for home use.
- Pack the slices into the jar.
- Meanwhile, add the all of the vinegar and all of the the spices to a large pan, and in a well-ventilated room, bring to a boil and continue to boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- You can strain the spices through a clean cloth or leave them in. I enjoy my pickles quite spicy so tend to leave them in.
- Pour the vinegar over the beetroot, ensuring that it is totally covered.
- Seal the jars securely and set aside in a cool, dark, cupboard and allow to mature for a few weeks before use.
- Strain any remaining vinegar through a clean cloth and bottle to use as a spicy condiment.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#beetroot #kilnerjar #boil #vinegar #miseenplace #sterilise #pickled #simmer #pickles #spices