Beetroot salad (hot)
To quote Nik:
"Its earthy and sweet and fragrant and spicy and fruity, we served it at our wedding feast, and it went down a storm"
Home-made pasta is so easy to make!
- 500g beetroot, either freshly boiled, or from the supermarket (but make sure it's not in vinegar)
- 150ml white wine vinegar
- 4 oranges, Freshly squeezed. Use the juice and the zest
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 225g dark brown or muscovado sugar
- 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Preheat oven to 200C. Chop beetroot into skinny strips and arrange in an oven proof dish
- Mix sugar and vinegar in saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes
- Reserve 2 tblspns of juice. Add the rest with the zest and the of allspice to the pan
- Mix the reserved juice with the cornflour. Add to juice in pan, heating gently, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened a bit
- Pour over the beetroot and place in oven for 8 minutes until warmed through. Serve
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.