This recipe is kindly taken from Nik & Edwina's cookbook, a marvellous on line cookery resource.
- Half a small onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 Cloves garlic finely chopped (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 125ml ice cold water
- 75g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Half a medium sized cauliflower, broken into small florets
- Light oil such as peanut or sunflower oil for frying
- Lightly whisk the egg in a small bowl, then add the ice cold water. Keep in the fridge until ready to use
- Mix the onion, garlic and mint together in another bowl
- In a third bowl sift together the flour, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin and salt
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the cauliflower in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until just tender but with some crispness. Drain, and return to the pan
- Mash the cauliflower and add the contents of all three bowls ie. everything except the cooking oil
- Pour a good slick of oil into a wide heavy based frying pan, and heat. It should be enough to coat the pan to 2-3mm
- Drop tablespoons of the cauliflower mix into the hot oil to make fritters about 6-7 cm in diameter. Cook for a minute or so until browned and turn. Drain on absorbent kitchen towels, and place in low oven to keep warm. Repeat
- Cook in batches until all fritters are made
- Serve immediately. See suggestions above
We have a number of different fritter recipes on Cookipedia:
- Aubergine fritters - Indian fritters. Brinjal fritters
- Spam fritters
- Sesame prawn fritters - fritters with an Asian touch.
- Cheese fritters - Indian cheese fritters
- Ox-brain fritters - they'll make a change from Spam!
- Cauliflower and turmeric fritters - a nice vegetarian alternative
- Crispy Capricorn potato fritters with bacon - a nice breakfast idea
- Akkra - West African bean fritters
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#cauliflower #cauliflowerandturmericfritters #onion #turmeric #garlic #fritters #egg #mash #fridge #mintleaves #mint