If you like these, give our Spam pizza a try as well!
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 60 g self-raising flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Splash of Guinness, bitter or if you must, milk and water mixed (about 35 to 40 ml of liquid is required)
- Splash of Louisiana hot pepper sauce or Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- Pinch of salt
- A little plain flour
- Add all of the dry batter ingredients to a bowl, then whisking well, add just enough fluid (Guinness, bitter, or the milk/water mix) to make a thick batter. Add the egg and mix it in extremely well.
- Rest the batter in the refrigerator for 20 minutes if you can
- Dip each piece of spam in a saucer of plain flour and knock off any excess (this helps the batter mix to stick)
- Dip each piece of spam in the batter
- Heat a shallow frying pan with a little oil. When it has just started to smoke, reduce the heat a little and fry the fritters a few at a time for 3 minutes a side
To make it easier to dip the pieces of spam in the batter, use a fork and spear the slice about 1cm from its end. Have the bowl of batter as close to the frying pan as possible, then dip the Spam and transfer into the hot oil immediately. Slide the fritter off the fork with a knife or other metal implement. Do not use your fingers at any point - severe burns can occur!!
Alternatively, if you're handy with a pair of chopsticks, you can grip the end of the Spam with them and do the dipping and transferring that way. For me, the only disadvantage of this method is that there is always a 'naked' uncovered bit on the fritter. Forking it is the only way!!!
We have a number of different fritter recipes on Cookipedia:
- Aubergine fritters - Indian fritters. Brinjal fritters
- Spam fritters
- Sesame prawn fritters - fritters with an Asian touch.
- Cheese fritters - Indian cheese fritters
- Ox-brain fritters - they'll make a change from Spam!
- Cauliflower and turmeric fritters - a nice vegetarian alternative
- Crispy Capricorn potato fritters with bacon - a nice breakfast idea
- Akkra - West African bean fritters
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.