This recipe is from an undated book, 'Modern practical cookery'. It looks to be circa 1900 and is very similar in content to Mrs Beeton's Cookbook. I just had to add this recipe, though I don't think I'll be trying it out.
- Soak the brain, in cold water for an hour and remove the membrane
- Stew the brain, in enough water to cover it, for 10 minutes, then strain it
- When cold, slice it thinly and dip into flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- Brush the slices with egg and coat with breadcrumbs
- Fry them for three minutes in smoking hot fat and drain on paper
Serve fritters on lace papers.
We have a number of different fritter recipes on Cookipedia:
- Aubergine fritters - Indian fritters. Brinjal fritters
- Spam fritters
- Sesame prawn fritters - fritters with an Asian touch.
- Cheese fritters - Indian cheese fritters
- Ox-brain fritters - they'll make a change from Spam!
- Cauliflower and turmeric fritters - a nice vegetarian alternative
- Crispy Capricorn potato fritters with bacon - a nice breakfast idea
- Akkra - West African bean fritters
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.