Cheese fritters (Indian)
They are based on 'Cheese ke Bhajiya' taken from Mr Pushpash Pent's wonderful "India": ISBN 978-0714859026.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 3.5 tablespoons self-raising flour, sieved from a height over a bowl to aerate.
- 85g (3.5 oz) of cheddar or similar strong cheese.
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 6 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Rapeseed oil for frying
- Freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- Add the eggs, milk, cheese and flour to a bowl and mix well until you have a smooth batter.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder, give a final mix and then leave in a cool place for 30 minutes for the baking powder to act. Don't leave it any longer or the leavening effect of the baking powder will be lost.
- Add enough vegetable oil to a wok or frying pan to shallow fry
- Making 5 fritters at a time, add a tablespoon of batter to the pan for each fritter and cook until golden brown.
- Flip them and repeat for the other side.
- Remove and drain on paper towels
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
We have a number of different fritter recipes on Cookipedia:
- Aubergine fritters - Indian fritters. Brinjal fritters
- Spam fritters
- Sesame prawn fritters - fritters with an Asian touch.
- Cheese fritters - Indian cheese fritters
- Ox-brain fritters - they'll make a change from Spam!
- Cauliflower and turmeric fritters - a nice vegetarian alternative
- Crispy Capricorn potato fritters with bacon - a nice breakfast idea
- Akkra - West African bean fritters
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.