Akkra are bean fritters which originated in Western Africa, but with the slave trade they spread to the Caribbean and Brazil. Crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle, they are variously known as akra, acra, accra, acrat and acarajé. This particular version comes from Jamaica.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- Wash and soak the peas overnight in hot water.
- Remove the outer skins and then soak again until they are fully swollen.
- Drain and place in a food processor with the chillies and salt.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or fryer.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the fat in batches and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve.
We have a number of different fritter recipes on Cookipedia:
- Aubergine fritters - Indian fritters. Brinjal fritters
- Spam fritters
- Sesame prawn fritters - fritters with an Asian touch.
- Cheese fritters - Indian cheese fritters
- Ox-brain fritters - they'll make a change from Spam!
- Cauliflower and turmeric fritters - a nice vegetarian alternative
- Crispy Capricorn potato fritters with bacon - a nice breakfast idea
- Akkra - West African bean fritters
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.