Spicy prawn ravioli in lobster bisque
Works with pre-made ravioli too
5/5 Lobster bisque, what a great cheat! The Judge
A delicious meal that is quite tricky to prepare, though made easier by cheating on the lobster sauce. Because the ravioli is cooked in the sauce, rather than water, it does not matter so much if they leak a little, which they usually do.
- 10 large king prawns, shelled and de-veined (mine were frozen and defrosted)
- Splash of nam pla
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 fat Cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2.5 cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- Big splash of Louisiana hot pepper sauce (Tabasco does just as well)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon cornflour - see Chef's notes
- Home made pasta (100 g flour, 3 egg yolks, pinch salt, 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Leave the pasta in the fridge for a few hours before rolling out
- Roll out into quite thick sheets, the middle setting on our Imperia pasta machine)
- Make the fresh pasta as shown here, adding 1 tablespoon dried parsley - fresh would be better but ours is a bit mangy this time of year. I left the pasta in the fridge for a good while in the hope the parsley would rehydrate a little.
- Soak the prawns in the nam pla for an hour or so. I like to do this as it makes them even fishier. You could omit this if you don't have the inclination!
- Blitz the prawns for a few seconds in a food processor (or Delia's chopper - ordered but not yet arrived!) - The resulting mix should be rice-grain sized pieces of prawn, not purée.
- Heat the ghee and olive oil, add the garlic and ginger and fry off until it just starts to colour, stir in the prawn mixture and stir constantly so it mixes well and cooks evenly
- When the prawn stars to colour, remove from the heat, add a pinch of salt and the hot pepper sauce. I added a little cornflour to thicken at this stage, though there may be better ways. Allow to cool a little.
- Roll out the pasta using the middle setting on an Imperia pasta machine - too thin and the ravioli has a tendency to leak
- Cut the pasta into strips about 4 cm wide
- Place just under a tablespoon of the mix on the pasta, avoid getting oil on the edges as they won't stick well
- Wet the edges of the ravioli fold over, press together with your fingers, finishing with the back of a fork.
- Place on a lightly floured plate
- Add the sherry to the lobster bisque and gently heat in a large pan until simmering, add the ravioli and simmer, covered, for another 8 minutes
- remove from the heat, gently stir in the cream and serve immediately
It might be nice to add a little mascarpone cheese to the mixture for a really rich meal!
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Interesting lobster recipes
- All about the lobster
- Lobster roll - a kind of sandwich filled with lobster meat
- Lobster thermidor - lobster cooked with a rich creamy seafood sauce, topped with parmesan cheese
- Lobster Newberg - the story of how Lobster a la Wenberg became Lobster a la Newberg
- Bill Granger's Lobster with Preserved Lemon - Australian chef and restaurateur, Bill Granger shows us an unusual way to prepare lobster tails with preserved lemons
- Spicy prawn ravioli in lobster bisque - a pasta dish with lobster meat
- Lobster and coconut soup with ginger - a Delia Smith cheat to turn a great soup into a brilliant one
- Peppers stuffed with lobster cream (TM) - small sweet peppers filled with a creamy seafood sauce, created with Thermomix
- Lobster bisque - make the classic lobster soup at home
- Prawn thermidor - an economical way to assimilate the classic lobster dish
- Thermidor sauce - make the classic thermidor sauce to use with pasta, vegetables or even as a dip
- Dublin lawyer - a rich Irish seafood dish utilising fresh lobster, cream, whiskey and sometimes mushrooms
- Salmon and prawn tagliatelle - a seafood dish using lobster bisque
- Fish chunks in lobster sauce with fresh pasta - another seafood dish using lobster bisque
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#ravioli #pasta #prawn #spicyprawnravioliinlobsterbisque #cornflour #oliveoil #nampla #ginger #fridge #imperiapastamachine #prawns