A lobster roll is a kind of sandwich filled with lobster meat. A traditional lobster roll contains the fresh cooked meat of a one-pound lobster, tossed with mayonnaise and served on a grilled hot dog bun or similar roll, served so that the opening is on the top rather than on the side. The filling may also contain diced celery and/or scallion, or use drawn butter instead of or in addition to the mayonnaise. The sandwich can also contain lettuce and lemon. Lobster rolls in the U.S. are especially associated with the state of Maine, but are also commonly available at seafood restaurants in the other New England states and on Eastern Long Island in the U.S., where lobster fishing is common. They tend to be virtually unheard-of in landlocked regions (such as the Upper Midwest), where lobster is an expensive delicacy.
They are a staple summer meal throughout the Maritime provinces in Canada particularly Nova Scotia where they may also appear on hamburger buns, baguettes, or other types of bread rolls - even pita pockets. The traditional sides are potato chips and dill pickles.
Some McDonald's restaurants in New England and the Canadian Maritimes offer lobster rolls as a seasonal menu item, called the McLobster.
Traditional New England Lobster Roll recipe
- 225 g (8 oz) cooked lobster meat, ripped into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- 2 hot dog bread rolls
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine lobster meat and mayonnaise in bowl
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Almost slice the rolls in two, lengthwise
- Butter the outsides of hot dog rolls
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Place the rolls buttered side down in the pan and cook until browned slightly, about 2 minutes per side
- Fill the rolls with lettuce and add the lobster mixture
Interesting lobster recipes
- All about the lobster
- Lobster roll - a kind of sandwich filled with lobster meat
- Lobster thermidor - lobster cooked with a rich creamy seafood sauce, topped with parmesan cheese
- Lobster Newberg - the story of how Lobster a la Wenberg became Lobster a la Newberg
- Bill Granger's Lobster with Preserved Lemon - Australian chef and restaurateur, Bill Granger shows us an unusual way to prepare lobster tails with preserved lemons
- Spicy prawn ravioli in lobster bisque - a pasta dish with lobster meat
- Lobster and coconut soup with ginger - a Delia Smith cheat to turn a great soup into a brilliant one
- Peppers stuffed with lobster cream (TM) - small sweet peppers filled with a creamy seafood sauce, created with Thermomix
- Lobster bisque - make the classic lobster soup at home
- Prawn thermidor - an economical way to assimilate the classic lobster dish
- Thermidor sauce - make the classic thermidor sauce to use with pasta, vegetables or even as a dip
- Dublin lawyer - a rich Irish seafood dish utilising fresh lobster, cream, whiskey and sometimes mushrooms
- Salmon and prawn tagliatelle - a seafood dish using lobster bisque
- Fish chunks in lobster sauce with fresh pasta - another seafood dish using lobster bisque
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#lobsterroll #lobster #mayonnaise #butter #lettuce #lobstermeat #potato #pita #celery #seafood #lemon