Red onion and roast cherry tomato soup with pesto croutons
An elaborate tomato soup recipe, courtesy of British Onions. This looks like dinner party fare to me!
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 1.25kg/2lb 12oz cherry tomatoes
- 3 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 red onions, finely sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Brown sugar
- 250ml/9floz Vegetable Stock
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 Slices of Ciabatta bread, torn into pieces
- Preheat oven to 220C/375F/ Gas No 5.
- Put the cherry tomatoes, garlic, 2 onions & basil onto a tray & drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt & black pepper.
- Bake for 30- 40 minutes until the tomatoes are browned.
- Mix the pesto, 3 tablespoons olive oil & bread together in a bowl, ensuring the bread is evenly covered.
- Spread the croutons onto a baking tray & bake for 5 minutes in the oven with the tomatoes.
- Turn the croutons & bake for a further 5 minutes. Put to one side.
- Put the rest of the olive oil in a pan & gently fry the onions for 10- 15 minutes, add the vinegar & sugar.
- Cook for a further minute.
- Liquidise the roast tomato mixture.
- Add the fried onion & stock.
- Reheat the soup & check the seasoning.
- Serve with pesto croutons.
We have a number of recipes for making croutons:
- Making crispy croutons for salads
- Croutons recipe
- Air fried croutons
- Air fried garlic croutons
- Basil and lemon chicken salad with air fried garlic croutons
- Red onion and roast cherry tomato soup with pesto croutons
- Red onion soup with Capricorn croutons
- Crispy bacon salad with poached eggs and croutons
- Melon salad with grilled halloumi cheese croutons
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of British Onions