From Cookipedia(Redirected from Croutons)
- About 175 g (6 oz) of stale bread - crusts removed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Fine table salt
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and grated (optional)
- Remove the crusts and cut the bread into cubes
- Heat the oil and butter in the pan until frothing
- Add the garlic if using and fry for 25 seconds
- Toss in the croutons and jiggle the pan so the oil is evenly distributed and fry until golden brown
- Sprinkle with a little salt and serve.
- They will keep if stored in an airtight container, but they are so quick and simple to make it's probably easier to make them as you need them.
Should you want to cook them in the oven, preheat to 180°C (gas mark 4 / 350°F), using a bowl, toss them in just oil, spread out on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. They could also be done under a grill, but watch them closely or they will burn!
As a rough guide, 1 bread roll makes enough croutons for 2 people; ciabatta rolls make really nice croutons.
We have a number of recipes for making croutons:
- Making crispy croutons for salads
- Croutons recipe
- Air fried croutons
- Air fried garlic croutons
- Basil and lemon chicken salad with air fried garlic croutons
- Red onion and roast cherry tomato soup with pesto croutons
- Red onion soup with Capricorn croutons
- Crispy bacon salad with poached eggs and croutons
- Melon salad with grilled halloumi cheese croutons
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.