Making crispy croutons for salads
Use stale bread
4.5/5 Great for using up left-over bread and rolls. The Judge
Croutons are a great way to liven up any salad and are really easy to make at home. They can be made on the hob, in a frying pan, but I've found the best results are achieved if you make them in the oven as they get a nice even crisp and you don't have to fiddle about with them too much.
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5). In this instance, the fan oven temperature can be the same. Just watch them carefully!
- Cut the bread into similar sized cubes
- Spread the croutons out on the oven tray
- Spray or sprinkle a few tablespoons f olive oil over the croutons
- Season with sea salt and a shake of mixed herbs
- Use a silicone brush to ensure the croutons are evenly coated with the olive oil and distribute them evenly on the tray
- Bake for 5 minutes in the top of the oven
- After 5 minutes turn them and bake the croutons for a further 5 minutes. Check them often as they can burn easily.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray
These apparently make a great snack - the pile gets smaller and smaller every time someone walks through the kitchen!
Use flavoured olive oil
We have a number of recipes for making croutons:
- Making crispy croutons for salads
- Croutons recipe
- Air fried croutons
- Air fried garlic croutons
- Basil and lemon chicken salad with air fried garlic croutons
- Red onion and roast cherry tomato soup with pesto croutons
- Red onion soup with Capricorn croutons
- Crispy bacon salad with poached eggs and croutons
- Melon salad with grilled halloumi cheese croutons
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#croutons #oliveoil #makingcrispycroutonsforsalads #bread #bake #salad #ciabatta #mixedherbs #miseenplace #france #spray