Red onion soup with Capricorn croutons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 25g butter
- 3 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoon tomato purée
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 800ml beef stock
for the croutons:
- 4 diagonal slices French bread
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 100g Capricorn Somerset Goats' cheese, sliced into 4
- Heat the oil and butter together in a large saucepan and fry the onions for 5-6 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the flour.
- Gradually blend in the tomato purée, red wine and beef stock.
- Bring to the boil, stirring.
- Cover and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Drizzle the bread with the oil and place under the grill, brown each side.
- Top each croûton with a slice of Capricorn Somerset Goats cheese, grill until melted and golden brown.
We have a number of recipes for making croutons:
- Making crispy croutons for salads
- Croutons recipe
- Air fried croutons
- Air fried garlic croutons
- Basil and lemon chicken salad with air fried garlic croutons
- Red onion and roast cherry tomato soup with pesto croutons
- Red onion soup with Capricorn croutons
- Crispy bacon salad with poached eggs and croutons
- Melon salad with grilled halloumi cheese croutons
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.