Egg and bacon flan
Another recipe that has come about as a result of my recent craze, making quiches. This time I thought I would use some of our Home smoked bacon and fresh eggs from our hens.
I'm using Jus Rol ready made shortcrust pastry and find that 1 500g pack is too much pastry for a (shallow) 10" Push-out flan dish, so this time I used about half - which means I can make another one tomorrow!
- 250 g (9 oz) from block of ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 2 free range eggs, beaten
- 45 ml (4 tablespoons) of milk
- 3 tablespoons of mascarpone cheese
- 5 rashers of cooked bacon, home smoked bacon or ham, chopped into tiny pieces.
- freshly ground black pepper
- Slices of tomato or red pepper or green pepper or a mixture of all to garnish
- Allow the pastry to get to room temperature before rolling it out.
- Preheated the oven to 200° C (400° F - Gas 6)
- Roll the pastry and use it to line a greased 20 cm (8") push-out flan dish
- Bake blind at 200° C (400° F - Gas 6) for 10 minutes
- Beat the eggs, milk, mascarpone cheese and season to taste with pepper - salt won't be needed with the bacon
- Stir in the bacon pieces
- Pour the egg and bacon mixture into the blind-baked flan case
- Decorate with whatever you have to hand, I used half of a green pepper, sliced, but use whatever you have to hand, tomatoes look and taste are good.
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 180° C (350° F - Gas 4)
- Bake for a further 40 minutes
Serve hot or cold
Our bacon is smoked and dried for 4 months so can be eaten without cooking rather like ham. If you're using normal bacon I would cook it first.
- Asparagus and broccoli flan
- Basic quiche case
- Bean and roasted red pepper flan
- Crayfish chili quiche
- Egg and bacon quiche
- Frankfurter quiche
- Kidney flan
- Prawn 'n' Pepsi flan
- Quiche Lorraine
- Smoked salmon quiche
- Spicy kidney flan
- Three cheese quiche
- Spicy three cheese flan with sesame seeds
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#eggandbaconflan #mascarponecheese #bacon #greenpepper #homesmokedbacon #greaseproofpaper #eggs #blindbaking #tomato #tomatoes #ham