Bean and roasted red pepper flan
A lot of work to make this, but definitely worth the effort! - Klapaucius
This recipe has been adapted from one by Michel Roux in his book Pastry (ISBN 1844006204). Michel's recipe uses asparagus and sem-confit red peppers, but as asparagus is out of season and I can't be bothered to semi-confit the peppers, I have just roasted therm and substituted the asparagus with fine green beans.
- 340g pâte brisée
- 170g fine green beans, trimmed, boiled and drained
- 5 roasted red peppers, skins removed and diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 200ml double cream
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Chives or parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
- Roll out the pastry thinly and use it to line a loose bottomed 35 x 11 cm and 2.5 cm deep tranche tin.
- Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5) and bake the case blind for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans and paper, reduce the oven to 170° C (325° F - gas 3) and bake the case for a further 10 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of the case with the diced red peppers.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, seasoning and nutmeg and pour three-quarters of the mixture over the peppers.
- Arrange the drained beans over the top and then pour over the remaining egg and cream mixture - you may find, as I did, that you have some mixture left over.
- Bake for 30 minutes and let wait on a wire rack for 20 minutes before unmolding.
- Garnish with the chopped herbs and serve warm.
I would recommend placing the tranche tin on a baking tray before putting in the oven. This is because the egg and cream mixture is runny and may escape through the bottom of the tranche tin and make a mess of your oven.
- Asparagus and broccoli flan
- Basic quiche case
- Bean and roasted red pepper flan
- Crayfish chili quiche
- Egg and bacon quiche
- Frankfurter quiche
- Kidney flan
- Prawn 'n' Pepsi flan
- Quiche Lorraine
- Smoked salmon quiche
- Spicy kidney flan
- Three cheese quiche
- Spicy three cheese flan with sesame seeds
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#cream #bake #beanandroastedredpepperflan #egg #nutmeg #redpeppers #diced #greenbeans #pastry #peppers #roasted