Quiche Lorraine is perhaps the most common variety of quiche. In addition to the eggs and cream, it includes bacon or lardons. I know cheese is not really an ingredient of a true Quiche Lorraine, but rather than use double cream, I prefer to use mascarpone cheese or ricotta cheese, both or more like cream than cheese and work really well in a savoury flan.
- 157 g (6 oz) -half a block of ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 3 free range eggs, beaten
- 45 ml (4 tablespoons) of milk
- 3 tablespoons of mascarpone cheese or ricotta cheese
- 5 rashers of cooked bacon, home smoked bacon or ham, chopped into tiny pieces.
- freshly ground black pepper
- Slices of tomato or red pepper or green pepper or a mixture of all to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - Gas 6)
- Roll the pastry and use it to line a greased 20 cm (8") push-out flan dish
- Bake blind at 200° C (400° F - Gas 6) for 10 minutes
- Beat the eggs, milk, mascarpone cheese and season to taste with pepper - salt won't be needed with the bacon
- Stir in the bacon pieces
- Pour the egg and bacon mixture into the blind-baked flan case
- Decorate with whatever you have to hand, I used half of a green pepper, sliced, but use whatever you have to hand, tomatoes look and taste good.
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 180° C (350° F - Gas 4)
- Bake for a further 40 minutes
Serve hot or cold
- Asparagus and broccoli flan
- Basic quiche case
- Bean and roasted red pepper flan
- Crayfish chili quiche
- Egg and bacon quiche
- Frankfurter quiche
- Kidney flan
- Prawn 'n' Pepsi flan
- Quiche Lorraine
- Smoked salmon quiche
- Spicy kidney flan
- Three cheese quiche
- Spicy three cheese flan with sesame seeds
Can't eat just one!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#quichelorraine #mascarponecheese #bacon #ricottacheese #greenpepper #bake #cheese #greaseproofpaper #freerangeeggs #redpepper #homesmokedbacon