Spicy three cheese flan with sesame seeds
A deliciously spicy quiche made with three cheeses, the pastry is flavoured with curry powder and the quiche is topped with sesame seeds. This makes a great accompaniment to a salad, any time of year.
- 60 ml olive oil (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 50 g blue cheese
- 225 g cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 3 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 225 g pre rolled shortcrust pastry
- 50 g Cheddar cheese
- 4 pinches of curry powder
- Pinch of fine salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- If the pre rolled pastry has been refrigerated, remove from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to work with it.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok and add a good pinch of black pepper
- Saute the oil over a low heat until soft and transparent. Do not allow it to brown
- Add the crushed garlic and stir-fry for the last few minutes
- Remove from the heat and set aside and allow to cool
- Crumble the blue cheese into a bowl and mix in the cream cheese
- Stir in the flour, egg yolks, cooled cooked onions and garlic, chopped chives and season with a pinch of salt, not too much as the blue cheese is quite salty
- Using a 20 cm (8 inch) push out flan tin, mark a circle that will fit snugly in the bottom
- Grease the inside of the flan case with a little olive oil or butter
- Sprinkle the grated Cheddar cheese over the prepared pastry and dust with the curry powder
- Use a rolling pin to press this into the pastry
- Line the base of the tin with the disc of pastry, cheese side up. Rolling this up first is the easiest way to transfer it to the fan tin.
- To make the edge strip you will need to re roll the remaining pastry. Using your hands, roll into a long sausage, about 60 cm long (2 feet) long, and then roll that out to match the height of your tin.
- Use this strip to line the edge of the tin, cheese side up.
- Crimp the two pieces of pastry together with your fingers so they make a good seal
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they create still peaks and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture and spread evenly to fill the flan case
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes at 200° C. Check it after 20 minutes and lower the heat to 180° if it looks too browned.
- Asparagus and broccoli flan
- Basic quiche case
- Bean and roasted red pepper flan
- Crayfish chili quiche
- Egg and bacon quiche
- Frankfurter quiche
- Kidney flan
- Prawn 'n' Pepsi flan
- Quiche Lorraine
- Smoked salmon quiche
- Spicy kidney flan
- Three cheese quiche
- Spicy three cheese flan with sesame seeds
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.