Three cheese quiche
This is my interpretation of the multi-cheese quiches that have been popular over the years.
- Enough shortcrust pastry to line a 23cm (9 inch) flan tin (see Chef's notes below)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 160g Cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 110g any semi-hard blue cheese, grated or crumbled
- 4 very large eggs, beaten
- 200ml milk
- 110g any hard cheese, grated
- Line the flan tin with the pastry.
- Prick holes with a fork all over the bottom and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour].
- Bake blind for 20 minutes.
- Brush the beaten egg yolk over the base so that the fork holes are covered.
- Return to the oven, and bake for a further 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Once cool, scatter the cubed Cheddar over the base.
- Mix the blue cheese with the egg, milk and seasoning and pour over the Cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour] for 40 minutes.
- At this stage the mixture may still be unset, but that is fine.
- Sprinkle the grated hard cheese evenly over the top and bake for a further 10-20 minutes until the cheese starts to brown.
- During this period, it may rise like a soufflé, but it will soon revert to normal during cooling.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
For this recipe I used Pembrokeshire Cheddar, Bleu de Beaude and Cerne Abbas cheeses, but you can use any of your choice. I would avoid choosing 3 very salty cheeses as that would make it over-seasoned, so try to get a nice balance.
For the pastry I used this recipe and made the full quantity. There was enough left over to make a couple of pasties or a small quiche. It is very difficult to specify how much pastry to make as it depends on the height of your tin and how thick you like your pastry. I like mine fairly thin.
- Asparagus and broccoli flan
- Basic quiche case
- Bean and roasted red pepper flan
- Crayfish chili quiche
- Egg and bacon quiche
- Frankfurter quiche
- Kidney flan
- Prawn 'n' Pepsi flan
- Quiche Lorraine
- Smoked salmon quiche
- Spicy kidney flan
- Three cheese quiche
- Spicy three cheese flan with sesame seeds
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.