Asparagus and broccoli flan
I made a couple of these for my mum today, so she has a vegetarian alternative for Christmas dinner.
It's just a slight variation of all of the flan recipes, but they looked so good I though I would add the recipe.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 500 g pack of ready made shortcrust pastry
- Olive oil for greasing
- 4 free range eggs
- 8 tablespoons milk
- ¾ of 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 100g baby asparagus tips, [1 small pack]
- 200 g of low-fat cream cheese - mine was chive and onion flavoured but that's personal taste
- A splash of Louisiana hot pepper sauce
- A handful of freshly chopped parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - Gas 6)
- On a floured board, roll out the pastry to fit your baking trays
- Lightly oil the trays to prevent the pastry sticking
- Press the pastry well into the edges of the trays
- Blind bake for 10 minutes
- Add the broccoli florets to a pan of boiling salted water and blanche for about 4 minutes. Remove and drain well
- Add the eggs, milk, pepper, hot sauce and parsley to a large bowl and whisk until combined
- Add the cream cheese and whisk until really well mixed
- Arrange the florets in the partially baked flans and pour in the egg mix
- Arrange the asparagus tips over the top of the flan
- Bake for 30 minutes
Because I use an electric whisk, I guess lots of air gets into the flans, so they often rise like soufflés, to at least double the height of the tin. bearing this in mind, ensure you leave enough room above the flan when baking!
- Asparagus and broccoli flan
- Basic quiche case
- Bean and roasted red pepper flan
- Crayfish chili quiche
- Egg and bacon quiche
- Frankfurter quiche
- Kidney flan
- Prawn 'n' Pepsi flan
- Quiche Lorraine
- Smoked salmon quiche
- Spicy kidney flan
- Three cheese quiche
- Spicy three cheese flan with sesame seeds
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.