Toad in the hole with apple and horseradish relish
Apple and horseradish - forest flavours.
- 4 Debbie & Andrew's Caramelised Red Onion Pork Sausages
- 100g gluten free flour (either from a packet or your own blend of 40g tapioca starch, 30g brown rice flour, 30g buckwheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 250mls almond milk
- Olive oil
- 1 small red apple, grated
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh grated horseradish
- 3 tablespoons half-fat crème fraiche
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan setting)
- Drizzle a teaspoon of oil in a 18cm x 24cm baking dish, add the sausages and roast for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, place the rest of your batter ingredients into a bowl and whisk thoroughly to whip air into the batter, preferably with an electric whisk. Set aside.
- Remove the browned sausages from the baking dish, and wipe out any sticky residue from the caramelised onions that may have escaped from the sausages. Add a tablespoon of fresh olive oil into the dish, increase the oven heat to 220°C and heat the dish with oil for 5 minutes till really hot.
- After 5 minutes put the browned sausages back in the pan and pour the batter over them.
- Cook for a further 30-35 minutes, until the batter is puffed up, set and golden brown on top.
- To make the relish, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and transfer to a serving dish. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
Top tip: Serve up the toad in the hole as soon as it is ready, to avoid it settling and sticking to its cooking dish
- Freezing horseradish - How easily save fresh horseradish for future use
- Horseradish - The British brassica root
- Steirischer kren (Styrian horseradish) - Austrian horseradish with g.g.A. protection
- Spreewälder Meerrettich (Spreewald horseradish) - German horseradish with G.g.A. protection
- Japanese horseradish - Otherwise know as wasabi
- Horseradish sauce recipes
- Raw grated horseradish for dipping - So simple, just grate the horseradish and dip food into it!
- Horseradish dip - A yogurt and horseradish dip, great with chips
- Horseradish cream recipe - Crème fraiche horseradish sauce
- Hot horseradish sauce recipe - Another horseradish sauce recipe
- Horseradish sauce with apples recipe - A fruity horseradish sauce
- Horseradish double cream sauce recipe - A richer version of horseradish sauce
- Hot horseradish sauce (V) recipe - A vegan horseradish sauce recipe
- Recipes using lots of horseradish
- Horseradish pickle recipe - A peppery horseradish pickle recipe
- Potatoes with horseradish recipe - A simple way to jazz up potatoes
- Rooster potato salad with grilled mackerel and horseradish - A nice potato salad recipe, with horseradish
- Karp w sosie chrzanowym (Carp with horseradish sauce) - A peppery Christmas fish recipe from Poland
- Potted smoked mackerel with Capricorn goats' cheese and chives - another peppery, fishy cheese recipe
- Harlech cheese - Cheese with added horseradish
- Toad in the hole with apple and horseradish relish - Another use for your horseradish sauce
- A horseradish question!
- File talk:Horseradish or Aconite.JPG - Is this plant aconite or is it horseradish?
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of debbieandandrew.co.uk
Many thanks to debbie&andrew's sausages for kindly giving Cookipedia permission to use the their recipes.
#batter #browned #glutenfree #sausages #oliveoil #grated #baking #blackpepper #toadintheholewithappleandhorseradishrelish #steamed #dill