A nice alternative to plain rice. It has a nutty, chewy texture.
- 75 g brown rice per person (about ½ cup per person)
- Rinse in a sieve under cold running water until the water runs clear. (To remove excess starch)
- ½ fill a large pan with water and bring to the boil
- Add the rice, bring back to the boil and boil uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Tasting regularly to check it's to your liking
- Top up with boiling water if required
- Remove from heat, strain but don't rinse
- Serve hot
- Add some chopped chives for extra colour and flavour.
- White long grain rice; decrease cooking time from 35-40 to 12-15 minutes.
Rice can be cooked before the meal is due to be served, providing it is properly stored and used the same day. Allow the rice to cool and refrigerate until required. Microwave when required, ensuring it is piping hot. Do not reheat rice that is more than 1 day old or rice that may not have been properly stored.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.