Butternut squash pisto
- 1.2 kg butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces - about 800g once prepared
- 1 teaspoon of Old India Taco Seasoning
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- A good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded, halved and cut into rings
- 2 green indian chillies, thinly sliced, deseeded if you wish
- 1 large sprig of rosemary, left whole
- 4 freshly picked bay leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- A pinch of cumin seeds
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 180ml passata
- 1 tablespoon port
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Pop the butternut squash chunks into a sieve and dust with the Old India Taco Seasoning, set to one side.
- Add the freshly ground black pepper to a large frying pan or even a wok.
- Add the olive oil and gently sauté the onions for 15 minutes.
- Add the sliced red pepper and fry for 10 minutes.
- Now to liven it up; add the sliced chillies, cumin seeds, bay leaves, whole sprig of rosemary and finally the garlic slices. Stir-fry these for a few minutes.
- Give the sieve of butternut squash a shake to remove any liquid that may have leached out and add the squash to the pan.
- Very gently sauté the squash for 20 minutes, turning regularly.
- After 20 minutes add the passata, port, sherry vinegar, Mexican oregano, and a grate of nutmeg and heat for the final 10 minutes.
- Remove the stem of the rosemary sprig and serve.
Other Pisto recipes
- Pisto Toledano
- Pisto manchego
- Butternut squash pisto
- Tray-baked butternut squash pisto
- Pisto (TM) (a Thermomix recipe)
- Pisto montañes (TM) (a Thermomix recipe)
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#butternutsquash #squash #pinenuts #cuminseeds #bayleaves #sieve #port #onions #nutmeg #butternutsquashpisto #oliveoil