Sous vide fillet steak with chicken liver pate
- Preheat the sous vide bath to cook the steaks to your liking:
|Cooked||Thick||Cooking temp.||Time (min)||Time (max)|
|25mm||49°C||120.2°F||1 hour||4 hours|
|Rare||50mm||49°C||120.2°F||2 hours||4 hours|
|Medium rare||25mm||56.5°C||133.7°F||1 hour||4 hours|
|Medium rare||50mm||56.5°C||133.7°F||2 hours||4 hours|
|Medium||25mm||60°C||140°F||1 hour||4 hours|
|Medium||50mm||60°C||140°F||2 hours||4 hours|
|Medium well||25mm||65.5°C||149.9°F||1 hour||4 hours|
|Medium well||50mm||65.5°C||149.9°F||2 hours||4 hours|
|Well done||25mm||71°C||159.8°F||1 hour||4 hours|
|Well done||50mm||71°C||159.8°F||2 hours||4 hours|
- With a sharp knife, carefully make a pocket in each of the fillets buy cutting into the side of the steaks.
- Stamp each steak with a meat tenderiser to ensure a really tender steak. Pay special attention to areas where there are membranes.
- Pop a tablespoon and a half of pate into each steak.
- Close the pockets and press the steaks flat.
- Add a teaspoons of butter on the top of each steak.
- Put each steak into its own vacuum pack bag and vacuum seal.
- Cook the steaks in the sous vide bath set to a temperature to match your preferred doneness. see Chef's notes
Obviously two steaks cannot easily be cooked to different levels of doneness as this is determined by the temperature of the sous vide bath, not by the cooking time, although I've found that an extended cooking time tenderises the meat more.
I've also found that a well done steak cooked sous vide has the same juiciness and mouth feel of a normally cooked rare steak. If you require rare and well done steaks, I would cook them both to medium [60°C for 2 hours]. You won't get any complaints!
- Sous vide cooking
- Category:Sous vide recipes
- Sous vide cooking times
- How to cook sous vide meat to different levels of doneness
- Safe minimum cooking temperatures
- SousVide Supreme sous vide cooker
- Anova Standalone sous-vide water heater and circulator
- Home made sous-vide slow cooker conversion kit
- Vacuum sealer (generic)
- Andrew James Professional Quality Vacuum Food Sealer Machine
- Vacuum sealed containers
- Andrew James 8.5 Litre Professional Sous Vide Water Bath Cooker
- Burton Sous Vide Water Bath
- Can the Crockpot Slow cooker and Multi cooker be used as a sous vide bath?
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.