Special fried rice
This could be used as a side dish or as a main meal.
- 375g (12 oz) long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 50g (2 oz) sweetcorn
- 50 g (2 oz) garden peas
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 3 slices of ginger, 1 chopped finely
- 2 rashers of rindless bacon or ham, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 100g (4 oz) peeled prawns
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- Pre cooked plain boiled rice or
- Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold running water for a few minutes to remove any starch
- Cook in boiling water so it still has a little bite to it (about 11 minutes)
- Rinse with cold water and drain
- Heat a wok or frying pan, add the oil
- When hot add the 2 whole slices of ginger and fry for 2 minutes to flavour the oil
- Add the onions, bacon, garlic and chopped ginger and fry for 3 minutes
- Add the vegetables and fry for a few minutes to soften
- Add the soy sauce and cook until the rice is thoroughly heated
- Stir in the prawns and mix well
- Remove the 2 slices of ginger and serve immediately
Flickr user avlxyz, who knows his Chinese food (and his camera!), suggests adding chopped Spam to special fried rice. Sounds a good idea, I might even chop up a tin and freeze in small quantities, just for this purpose.
Pre soak some dried shrimp in just boiled water for 15 - 30 minutes to rehydrate, roughly chop and add with the vegetables for a more authentic dish.
Instead of bacon, slice up a little Chinese sausage for an interesting change.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#specialfriedrice #ginger #prawns #garlic #bacon #lightsoysauce #ham #gardenpeas #spam #sweetcorn #onions