Basic French loaf
(Redirected from French bread)
We have a Panasonic SD253 breadmaker and it is wonderful. We have used it twice a week for the last year or so to make white or wholemeal loaves. However, we have only recently tried some of the other recipes that came with the breadmaker. Wow, they are really good.
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 400 g (14 oz) Very strong white flour
- 15 g (1/2 oz) butter - don't be tempted to use olive oil, it does not work as well for this recipe.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 280 ml water - or by weight instead of volume, 280 g water
- Tip is all into the breadmaker
- For the Panasonic SD253 breadmaker, Select French Bake program
- For the Panasonic SD-ZB2502 automatic breadmaker use menu option 08, French bake
- Wait 6 hours for closest you'll ever get to French bread
If this loaf does not rise properly and you are using in-date yeast and strong bread flour and then it might be problem with your breadmaker. With our late Panasonic SD253 breadmaker, this was the recipe that failed to rise, when all other recipes seemed to work. Eventually this was cured by the replacement: Panasonic SD-ZB2502 automatic breadmaker.
- See also: Bread rising problems
5/5 Since I added this recipe , seven years ago, we've probably used it three times a week since then. The long rise time makes for a lovely light loaf, and as you don't have to do anything while it bakes, you may as well go for the longer bake to obtain the perfect loaf. Jerry, aka Chef (talk)
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#breadmaker #basicfrenchloaf #panasonicsd253breadmaker #flour #strongbreadflour #breadrisingproblems #driedyeast #strongwhiteflour #butter #oliveoil #frenchbaguette