Although this was the my first attempt at moussaka in 40 years of cooking, it was described as being 'delicious' (with an expletive preceding it). I have no idea how authentic it is though.
- 3 large aubergines, sliced lengthways 7.5mm thick
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Garlic to taste, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 450 g lamb mince
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 tablespoons tomato puree
- 140 ml lamb or chicken stock
- 160 ml red wine
- Flat leaved parsley, chopped
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 500 g waxy salad potatoes, parboiled and sliced (no need to peel)
- 60 g butter
- 60 g plain flour
- 500 ml warm milk
- 100 g strong hard cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Put the aubergines in an oiled baking tray.
- Brush with 2-3 tablespoons of the olive oil and season.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, add 2-3 tablespoons olive oil to a frying and heat to medium high.
- Add the onion and cook until almost softened.
- Add the garlic and cook until about to turn golden.
- Stir in the cinnamon and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the lamb and mixed dried herbs and cook until most of the moisture has evaporated.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine and stock, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and again, cook until most of the moisture has evaporated.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and season.
- In the meantime, heat the tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Place half of the aubergine into mince mixture into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Then add half of the tomatoes and half of the mince.
- Repeat the previous two stages once.
- Top with the sliced potatoes and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the flour and cook gently for about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the milk little by little, stirring constantly, returning to the heat when any lumps have dissolved.
- Add half of the cheese (50g) and stir over the heat until melted.
- Mix in the nutmeg.
To prepare for the oven
- In a baking dish, layer the aubergines on the bottom.
- Spread the tinned tomatoes over the aubergines.
- Spread the meat mixture over the tomatoes.
- Place the sliced potato on top of the meat.
- Pour over the sauce and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 180C, until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
Perfect with a well-dressed salad
- Adapted from a combination of various recipes including one by Felicity Cloake of The Guardian.
Although not available where I live, you could use Graviera cheese
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#moussaka #tomatoes #aubergines #cheese #garlic #lamb #mince #oliveoil #bake #nutmeg #herbs