Crispy crayfish patties
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Crayfish fish cakes)
Exotic, yet surprisingly economical; 360 g of crayfish tails for £6 (2008)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, remove the 'strings' with a mandoline and chop into moons.
- A good shake of Louisiana hot pepper sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 160 g (5 oz) breadcrumbs
- 100 ml (4 fl oz) strong beef stock
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed.
- 360 g (12 oz) wild crayfish tails, chopped finely
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chilled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a wok and fry the spring onions, celery and garlic for 4 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, ginger and the Louisiana hot sauce.
- Add the breadcrumbs, stock, chopped crawfish tails, chopped eggs and the cornflour paste.
- Mix well then remove from the heat.
- Pat into small cakes, allow to cool then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Dip into the seasoned flour and fry in butter until crispy.
Because of the egg whites, these cracked and popped a bit whilst being fried. I think the next time, I will roll save a little of the breading, dip them in egg and coat with a final layer of breading so the did not explode whilst cooking!
I bulked out the breadcrumbs with 50 % cornflakes, oats would be good too.
- Crispy crayfish patties
- Crayfish chili quiche
- Devilled crayfish tails
- Smoked salmon and crayfish parcels
- Fishermans pie with crayfish and squash mash
- Crayfish, avocado and grapefruit salad
- Garlic and crayfish pizza
- Spaghetti squash with cheese and chili crayfish
- Crayfish bisque
- Filo pastry wrapped crayfish
- Sopa Donosti (TM)
- Crayfish bisque - information about the canned version, not a recipe
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.