Fishermans pie with crayfish and squash mash
- 245 g (9 oz) skinless smoked hoki fillets (haddock would be fine)
- 85 g (3½ oz) crayfish tails
- 50 g (2 oz) peeled prawns
- 1 small onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 300 ml (0.52 pint) milk
- 3 tablespoons grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Splash of Tabasco sauce
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 thinly sliced pickled egg (optional) - mine have orange skins because they have been pickled in Tabasco chillies!
- 750 g of squash mash
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - Gas 5)
- Add the very finely chopped onions, milk to a pan and bring in to a simmer
- Tip in the butter, flour and stir briskly to break the flour up - don't worry it won't go lumpy.
- Add the cheese, splash of Tabasco and season with salt and pepper
- Simmer until it thickens and remove from the heat and stir in the parsley
- Chop the hoki into strips
- Pour the cheesy sauce into an oven dish and distribute the hoki strips.
- Add the peeled prawns and crawfish and arrange the slices of pickled egg on top if using.
- With a palette knife, spread the squash mash over the top of the fish mixture, fluff up with a fork
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes
Serve hot with peas.
- Crispy crayfish patties
- Crayfish chili quiche
- Devilled crayfish tails
- Smoked salmon and crayfish parcels
- Fishermans pie with crayfish and squash mash
- Crayfish, avocado and grapefruit salad
- Garlic and crayfish pizza
- Spaghetti squash with cheese and chili crayfish
- Crayfish bisque
- Filo pastry wrapped crayfish
- Sopa Donosti (TM)
- Crayfish bisque - information about the canned version, not a recipe
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.