Cod with mustard and caper vinaigrette (SV)
A simple sous vide recipe.
For the vinaigrette
- 20g shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon clear honey
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained and chopped
- 1 gherkin, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
For the cod
- 60g salt
- 1.5 litres cold water
- 1kg waxy potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1cm pieces
- 4 cod fillets, skin removed
- 60g unsalted butter
- Extra salt
- Groundnut oil
To make the vinaigrette
- Place a small saucepan of water over a medium heat
- Bring to the boil and blanch the shallot for 20 seconds
- Drain and tip into a bowl of iced water.
- Drain again and pat dry.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Season and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the shallot and keep in the fridge until required - it will keep for up to 1 week.
For the cod
- Preheat the water bath to 84°C (183.2°F).
- Place the potatoes into a sous vide bag and seal.
- Add to the bath and cook for 1½ hours.
- Reduce the temperature to 50°C, leaving the potatoes in the bath.
- Meanwhile put the salt and water into a bowl to make a brine.
- Add the fish fillets and leave for 20 minutes.
- Rinse, drain and pat dry.
- Vacuum and seal the fish in individual sous vide bags with 15g butter in each.
- Add the fish to the water bath and cook for 20 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, remove the potatoes from the bag and dress them with the vinaigrette.
- Heat a film of oil in a frying pan to medium high.
- Remove the fish from the bags and pat dry.
- Season with salt.
- Fry just one side of each fillet in the pan for 30 seconds until golden.
- Remove from the pan and serve coloured side up on top of the potatoes.
- Adapted from a recipe in Heston Blumenthal's Heston Blumenthal at Home
Any flaky white fish will be fine.
- Sous vide cooking
- Category:Sous vide recipes
- Sous vide cooking times
- How to cook sous vide meat to different levels of doneness
- Safe minimum cooking temperatures
- SousVide Supreme sous vide cooker
- Anova Standalone sous-vide water heater and circulator
- Home made sous-vide slow cooker conversion kit
- Vacuum sealer (generic)
- Andrew James Professional Quality Vacuum Food Sealer Machine
- Vacuum sealed containers
- Andrew James 8.5 Litre Professional Sous Vide Water Bath Cooker
- Burton Sous Vide Water Bath
- Can the Crockpot Slow cooker and Multi cooker be used as a sous vide bath?
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.